The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#376223 02/16/2008 8:58 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 100
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 100
I've managed (with lots of WD40) to remove the original brake pulleys on a 41 3/4 ton chevy, I now have them on the bench.

The bolt through the middle appears to be welded to the pulley - but I would have thought it should spin on the bolt when the brake is pulled.

Before I go at it with more WD40 and a hammer could anyone confirm if they are separate items. If they are 'one' then shouldn't there be a lock nut.

Cheers


For those who believe, no proof is necessary.
For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

41 Chevy
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
Yes they are separate items. Mine were frozen on my 37 Chevy pickup. I just kept spraying w/PB Blaster for several days. I then held the pulley near the bolt w/vise grips and a socket & rachet on the bolt. It finally broke free. Mine didn't have a lock nut but had lock washer on the nut - don't know if that was original. The bolt shaft is smooth and the pulley spins around it. Hope this helps.

Charles


1937 Chevy pickup
In the Gallery
1952 MGTD
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 100
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 100
It does, thanks.

I'll drop it into some release oil and leave it for 24 hrs before trying again.



For those who believe, no proof is necessary.
For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

41 Chevy
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048

Go to Tech Tips, scroll down to Brakes look at the last item


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I see new ones on ebay and I think its Jim Carter thats selling them. Jeff

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
I've seen some folks use a pulley from a garage door that is the same as what you're needing. Worth checking out.


dj durant

1964 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 100
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 100
Seen that in the tech tips - and may resort to that if I can't get the originals free.


For those who believe, no proof is necessary.
For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

41 Chevy

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0