The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,454
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
Basically i would like to make this as waterproof as a dolphins behind, and yet able to go to places that are sub zero with it. Is there ' the way ' how to insulate a bus professionally with no future worries of mold, condensation, leaks etc ? I,m also putting standard electrical outlets throughout the bus, so a gap of 3 1/2 to 4 inches needs fill. Thanx guys ! Cheerz !

Last edited by IsolationRide; 02/05/2008 10:23 PM.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
"THE way" it's done professionally is with closed cell polyurethane foam, an expensive alternative that needs to be done professionally and isn't very 'forgiving'

the important points: fully isolate the exterior skin from the interior so there is NO metal that makes continuous contact between the 2 'shells' ... seal the backside of the skin to prevent condensation in the insulated space

I'm in the process of gathering materials for the same job this spring/summer - plan is to cover the inside of the metal skin with Sealgard, a sticky back roll roofing similar to 'peel n seal', to eliminate condensation and add some sound proofing - I'll put cut-to-fit 2x in the metal ribs, isolated from them by the stick on foil backed pipe wrap, and that'll be the attachment point for the interior wood paneling

the insulation material you use can be a variety of things, but the pink fiberglas bats will collect and hold any moisture, so not the ideal, rigid pink is better but fiddly to fit the curved spaces .... what I'll be using is sheeps wool bats [from Alberta], as good an R value as any for about the same price, and good for making sweaters after the bus rots away from around it grin

swing by if you're on the Island

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
dont use fiberglass bats they turn into a mess i did a metal shop i put plastic against the metal then the closed cell styrofoam you can feel the warmth that it puts out and its water proof i then put plywood and then sheet rock but after the styrofoam you can put what you want it cost some money but you only pay once and it will be done right and last forever good luck i sealed the joints with duct tape

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
Have you read this posting from another site?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/340096/5

Its very cool and expensive! Joe

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 7
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 7
On my bus, I used a spray/brush on ceramic insulation/coating (I think the new commercial name is Lizard Skin) on the inside of the exterior skin.
I then added a layer of the "bubble wrap" type insulation with the foil on both sides. Not the best insulating properties, but it shouldn't be an issue when it comes in contact with moisture from the design of the side windows.
I am also in the process of adding a 1/4" layer of closed cell landau foam on the interior side of the interior skin. It will serve as a padding for the upholstery as well as have some insulating and noise dampening qualities.


Member #719
1940 Chevy School Bus

Imagination is more important than Knowledge - Al Einstein
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
Thats a wicked trailer ! Wow,..now thats a rebuild.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
Lizard Skin looks expensive considering it would be covering a bus. Wool batten is $6.50 a pound. Time to raid the piggy bank ! Nothing but the best for my new gal.


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0