| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,485 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 66 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 66 | I noticed in the summer that the drivers side of my 53 GMC 9300 1/2 ton was sitting a little lower than the passenger side. I measured it yesterday and the drivers side is 1 1/2" lower both front and rear.
First, is it best to replace the springs or get them reconditioned ?
Second, seeing as it seems that both weak springs are on the same side, should I just do the weak side or both sides ? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | There has been some debate on this one. Some people say that a re-arched spring doesn't last. I would think that it would depend on your local choices. If you have a spring service nearby that can make new ones, that may be your best choice. The old truck suppliers can get new originals. There is Bill's Truck in Courtice and Antique Chev in Oakville. We have a good spring guy in Bolton here who I used. He is very reasonable. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 | I got new springs and U-bolts for my 54 1/2 ton from Eaton Detroit Spring - they were very helpful and I was very pleased with their products. If I remember correctly, they're authorized GM reproductions. Samantha | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | You can go to Orillia Spring or to Peterborough, a bit further, to Parry Spring Service. They can re-arch them for you. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 66 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 66 | Thanks
I think I will go new if I can. I hope I can get away with just replacing the two weak ones. If I have to replace in pairs,I would have to replace all four. Dave | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 198 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 198 | Thanks
I think I will go new if I can. I hope I can get away with just replacing the two weak ones. If I have to replace in pairs,I would have to replace all four. Dave I WOULD repalce in pairs. Otherwise, there IS going to be a difference between one side and the other, and that is not good in a suspension system. Jim G | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | The place in Bolton usually has a Mack truck or school bus in the works when I go in. It is fascinating to see the spring stock, shelves of bushings and the stout machinery they use to do their work. It seems to be an art and a science at the same time. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Out of curiuosity do you have a side mount spare? I had one on my 53 and the weight of it plus me being solo most of the time in the truck made the truck lean on the driver's side. I ended up putting a leaf (or maybe it was two) in the left rear. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 66 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 66 | I work not to far from York Spring so maybe I'll ask them today if I get a chance.
I do have a spot for a side mount spare but there is nothing in it. The truck sits off level when nobody is in it.
I was also looking at Bills Truck. He might have a used set available.....I don't know about that though. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | I have a complete helper spring setup out of my '53. You are welcome to have it, I will not be putting it back in. | | |
| |
| |