Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Gdads51, Phak1, Joe H, Youngin' Tut 59, Greg_H, carbking, Wayne67vert),
99
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,137 Posts1,056,430 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | It does seem convenient having everything in "kit" form but what concerns me is that everything is aerosol. Unless you have your frame on a rotisserie you're going to have problems painting the undersides of things.
I think the POR-15 process in brush-on cans is where I'm going with mine. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Hey Woody, I have already started with POR 15. Its just a mess  | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 17 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 17 | I can vouch for the Eastwood products. They are pricey, but they work very well. I can't imagine you could paint a complete frame in just 3 aerosol cans. I would probably stick with the brush on kits, and include the Rust Convereter pre-step if you still wanted to do that. http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...373&iSubCat=374&iProductID=12251Instead of just 3 cans of each, you get a quart of Rust Encapsulator, and 2 quarts of Chassis Black. You can also dilute and spray in a gun if you want too. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | What did you you as a thinner? Thanks, brian | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I have used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator I don't know why you would need the rust converter if the rust is encapsulated. The stuff is very pricey I just ordered two more cans tonight. POR 15 is a mess.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Can you please explain why? I'm not sold on POR-15 but it usually gets rave reviews here. I'm open to new ideas, so tell me why you think POR-15 is a mess. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | I used Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator all aorund my windshield frame an some other places and a PINT goes a very long way ..there spray bomb frame paint doesnt go so far ...i shoulda used the brush on version
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Sorry, I should have used the ? mark. Por 15 is a mess???
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I do wonder the effectiveness of any of these products we use. It will be some time before we can say with any degree of certainly that they work or how well they work. We can brag on how easy they are to apply but I guess we must wait for rust to appear (or not) before making a full appraisal of the product.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Hey Czechman, I called it a mess because I had used a brush+had not removed the cab yet (so I was using a brush upside down) not my most intelligent moment. I am just deciding if I will spray it going forward... other mess reasons: 1. used crappy brushes...this left hairs 2. may have applied it too generously....runs 3. I rushed to the application ...a big no no 4. I must have had some airborne dust in the area.
Anyways, lessons learned RIGHT? whatever does not kill you makes you stronger and in this case parts of my body will definitely not be rusting anytime soon!!
Brian | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | i used there mat floor repair kit on floor boards when cured the floor was to flexable so i then laid a coat of fiberglass mat and resin right over the top it worked perfectly stiffend the floor right up that was 5 years ago and its holding up well and it killed the rust | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I've did a couple of chassis with the por15. Wear rubbber gloves, old rotten clothes, Pour out little at a time and keep can closed so it don't dry over, have a little air movemovement for brushing it on.....if spraying use the best respirator you can buy. This stuff will coat your lungs if you don't. Even brushing it on use some type of respirator/mask. A little goes along way. I've been able to get TWO coats on a chassis with a Quart. Get it in gloss or satin. I like the gloss. It dries and looks nice and levels out smooth. I might add I put it on after I have blasted the chassis. I never use it just as an encapsulator. I can't stand the thoughts of putting it over rust!! It dries HARD and is Hard to chip! Easy to wipe off or clean if needed. Brakefluid will not effect it. I might add it will fade if exposed to sunlight. I use enamel paint on bumper brackets ect. Yep, its messy if you get it on you. Takes a while to wear off. Do a search on Por15 as there has been MANY disscussions on it.
Oh....I buy mine from JimCarter and if your a contributor you get 10% off. Mine came out to #35 a quart including shipping.
Last edited by Achipmunk; 01/25/2008 5:16 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I called POR 15 to order the product and in the conversation the salesman explained I must apply it to bare metal. My cab topside and bottomside has been blasted and primed and I'm not going to strip the primer off so I did not order. I may go the bedliner route instead.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | I buy mine from JimCarter and if your a contributor you get 10% off. A contributor to what? | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 934 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 934 | Use a small brush roller to roll on the POR 15 even on the underside of the frame. worked for me. tom | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Czechman: anyone making a donation to the Stovebolt page can get a 10% discount at JimCarters. I know quite a few that donate a few dollars to this stovebolt sight to help keep the lights on and to take care of small problems as they pop up so this site keeps ticking along. Someone, (Peggy??) sends the names to JimCarter and you get a code to give them when you order and they give you 10% discount.
Edit: this is 10% off anything you order, not just Por15
Last edited by Achipmunk; 01/26/2008 4:13 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | That's good to know... Thanks! | | |
| |