The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jon G, DadsFirstPickup, dt235sd, TUTS 59, RLB, Otto Skorzeny, 52Carl), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,714
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35918 09/01/2004 10:16 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
Okay, I finally eliminated all other possibilities and I am now sure my main problem is crud from my gas tank gunking everything up. The tank is the original one behind the seat which I don't like, so rather than removing it, cleaning it out and re-installing it, I would rather go ahead and put one under the bed. What I need to know is, what type of vehicle might I find in a wrecking yard that would have a tank that would fit nicely between my frame rails with a minimum amount of fussing and modifications to my truck or the tank? I am not much of a mechanic nor a welder nor a machinist and I really need something I can just slip into place, bolt in and hook up. Any suggestions? Please?
Thanks,
Dave :confused: :confused: :confused:


The only thing more amazing than my ability to cram 60 minutes of work into a 9 hour day is my talent for making it look effortless!

My 1962 Chevy C-30
#35919 09/02/2004 12:07 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
"LMC" truck has a rear mount gas tank and sender and "Brothers Truck" has a suburban conversion tank kit to relocate the tank to the rear of the frame.
Good luck,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#35920 09/02/2004 3:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
The suburban/blazer tank will be the easiest, I believe. Stick with 72 & earlier, there was a change with the 73 model. I bought a used tank, but it became a money pit. Didn't give much for the tank, but soon found that I would have to pay around $100 to have it boiled, and there is a big waiting list, only one shop in the area boils gas tanks now. Add to that a quart of tank sealer and sending unit, it soon became better to buy a new steel tank for $250 or so.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#35922 09/02/2004 8:12 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
Thanks to all for the info! cool
Hey Joe, do you happen to know if the suburban tanks go between the frame rails under the bed? I'm going to try to find one of the 'next to nothing' ones at a wrecking yard.
Thanks, Dave :p


The only thing more amazing than my ability to cram 60 minutes of work into a 9 hour day is my talent for making it look effortless!

My 1962 Chevy C-30
#35924 09/03/2004 12:01 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Hey Dave,
I've been researching the same kind of thing for my '47 panel. I can Email you a couple of pictures that may help, but I don't have a website to host them so I can't post them here. I may also be able to dig into my Email archives and let you know who had a tank that I didn't buy.
One of the pictures is a photo that a guy sent me of the gas tank hanger hardware from his AD Suburban. They are the earlier type that nest inside the right frame rail and mount the gas tank between the frame and driveshaft. The other is a diagram from a "Factory Assembly Manual" that I bought on-line. The book isn't really an assembly manual, more like a collection of drawings from 1953, but still very useful. This particular drawing is the detail of how the tank is mounted (panel and Suburban again) between the right frame rail and the driveshaft, suspended from two braces that span all the way across the frame and bolt into the top of both the left and right rails.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
#35925 09/03/2004 12:04 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Hey Dave,
I've been researching the same kind of thing for my '47 panel. I can Email you a couple of pictures that may help, but I don't have a website to host them so I can't post them here. I may also be able to dig into my Email archives and let you know who had a tank that I didn't buy.
One of the pictures is a photo that a guy sent me of the gas tank hanger hardware from his AD Suburban. They are the earlier type that nest inside the right frame rail and mount the gas tank between the frame and driveshaft. The other is a diagram from a "Factory Assembly Manual" that I bought on-line. The book isn't really an assembly manual, more like a collection of drawings from 1953, but still very useful. This particular drawing is the detail of how the tank is mounted (panel and Suburban again) between the right frame rail and the driveshaft, suspended from two braces that span all the way across the frame and bolt into the top of both the left and right rails.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
#35926 09/03/2004 12:07 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Dunno how that happened... Must have hit the tab key, typed a sentence and hit ENTER.

All I was gonna say is, check your Email and I'll drop you a line so you can tell me where to send the pictures.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
#35927 09/03/2004 12:37 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Okay, now my face is really red...

I typed all that and screwed up on double posting it, then I read back up and see that the discussion is not about an AD at all. Dave, my pictures will not be any help to you.

I just have ADs on the brain.

My apologies to everyone whose time I wasted reading all that.

Moderator, feel free to delete my posts in this thread. frown


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0