The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (59 fleet, 3800GUY, Charles in CA, IHPWR), 144 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#354949 01/01/2008 4:09 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 12
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 12
My '54 has the old mechanical/vacuum wiper motor and I would like to keep it if possible.

I've taken it out, cleaned and lubed it, see no excessive wear, but it still doesn't work very well. The vacuum line looks decent, but I'm going to replace it anyway.

The problem I have is it is very slow, stops frequently and hangs whenever I stomp on the gas. Can anyone tell me if that is normal? I see they sell an electrical replacement, but again would like to keep it original if I can.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
It will all ways stop when you step on the throttle, your vacuum drops off when the throttle blade is opened, this is why they went to a electric wiper system.
Add some oil to the wiper motor, the old leather seals tend to dry out over time. Use a leather oil, I heard motor type oils will degrade leather over time.
If there is a question about vacuum, install a gauge at the wiper motor to monitor how much vacuum there is. Mine used to run like yours, slow and unsteady, I had them rebuilt and now they all most throw the wiper off the arm they are so fast. My engine idles with 19.5" of vacuum. They are easy to rebuild, but getting parts is tough. Joe

Joe H #354976 01/01/2008 5:35 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I have had these motor professionally rebuilt and as Joe say's they tend to throw the old style wiper blades off the arm. Check out www.wiperman.com


I need to go to a more modern arm and blade to cure this problem. If you guys have a source for a better than stock arm/blade I'd like to know.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joe H #354977 01/01/2008 5:38 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I use Rowlands parts in Wa. You pack it up & send it with a check & they send it back working great. You can,t turn it up all the way or like Joe says they go too fast. There phone number is 509-829-5026.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0