The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Marlow, TUTS 59, Wally / Montana, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 80 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,385
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
I searched and found the firing order for my 62 235 Cheby engine.
153624


But being a V8 **** guy, I'm not sure which one Chrvy calls number 1, near radiator or near transmission.

Any help appreciated.


62 1/2 Ton Stepside, 3 on the tree and 235 I6
Grandpa gave it to me, it is straight and original with about 90K original miles..
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
#1 is at the radiator end!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
Thanks, that might explain why she's not running :-)


62 1/2 Ton Stepside, 3 on the tree and 235 I6
Grandpa gave it to me, it is straight and original with about 90K original miles..
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
The distributor rotates clockwise.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
4onthefloor, you're on top of the game...I was just thinking that I need to confirm the direction of rotation! Although I was just spinning it with teh cap off. It's sparking well (reman dizzy, new coil, good wires). It looks like fuel is getting to the carb, may be old fuel, but it's getting there.

Now, I've got all the info I need except how to get #1 TDC. How do you guys manually turn the crank. I could not get a socket to grab a crank bolt inside the balancer like I would do on my ***** . I can hit it with the staret, but I can't really tell where it's stopping, Russian Roulette.


62 1/2 Ton Stepside, 3 on the tree and 235 I6
Grandpa gave it to me, it is straight and original with about 90K original miles..
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
Pull all the spark plugs, and turn the fan. (Clockwise from the front!) With a tight fan belt, the engine should turn. Another method is to put the truck in high gear, and gently roll it forward until #1 rolls up to TDC. BTW, the timing mark comes up twice, once at the top of the compression stroke, and again at TDC on exhaust. One of our guys here spent a couple of weeks figuring that one out! Be sure both valves are closed on #1 when you line up the timing mark!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I said that because it bit me before. The last engine with a distributor I had before that rotated counterclockwise.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 20
Thanks guys. I had to punt on the old Chevy. I'll go back to figh that battle again with some charged batteries.

I went to work on one of my other projects. I at least got it to run. Still can't drive it, but it runs :-) Out of 3 old trucks, I've goy one running motor and no driveable trucks. It wouldn'e be so bad, but my main project has over $10K in the motor alone (no, not running :-(....

The wife is just shaking her head. "You mean, we've got 3 trucks, but I f I want a new dishwasher I have to get it delivered".....


62 1/2 Ton Stepside, 3 on the tree and 235 I6
Grandpa gave it to me, it is straight and original with about 90K original miles..
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
Quote
Originally posted by Hotrod Lincoln:
Pull all the spark plugs, and turn the fan. (Clockwise from the front!) With a tight fan belt, the engine should turn. Another method is to put the truck in high gear, and gently roll it forward until #1 rolls up to TDC. BTW, the timing mark comes up twice, once at the top of the compression stroke, and again at TDC on exhaust. One of our guys here spent a couple of weeks figuring that one out! Be sure both valves are closed on #1 when you line up the timing mark!
Jerry
To add to this, if you have the plugs pulled, you should be able to put your finger over the #1 plug hole and turn the motor over with the fan. When you feel the compression move your finger away from the hole, this is the compression stroke. Continue rotating until the TDC mark is lined up. If you can't find the TDC mark, rotate until no more compression is felt. That will be close enough to set the distributor rotor to point at #1. It otta fire right up from there.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0