The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#332139 11/02/2007 8:50 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Not a priority really but I got tired of sitting on the seats in the coe and having chunks of mouse nest poof out the sides, so I decided it was high time to reupholster them.

Heres the shots of the process so far

I took the passenger seat out. Tried unbolting the bottoms and broke most of the screws and bolts in the process. Went right ahead and started to pull the covering off the seat back. It was so old and decrepit that it just pulled right off. Pulling the 6,000 1/2" furniture tacks out was a real time consuming pain in the @ss!!!

Once I got down to the seat cushion itself it got really gross. A huge old mouse nest sat in the springs luckily its owners were long gone and it didnt have that characteristic p*ss smell. I took that out in the driveway and dropped it a few times to knock most of the nest out. Boy those coil springs sure bounce! I bet one drop bounced a dozen times and made it a good 20-30 feet away!

Most of the bottom frame was rusted apart so I just cut it and pulled the rows of springs out. 4 at a time they went into my electrolysis tank and sat for an hour each before I broke them down singularly and tanked them by themselves. After removing and scrubbing the rust off I then let them sit in a tub of metal ready.

The way the seat back fabric was attached by a groove that had a 7/16" strip of wood in it and the fabric had a folded seam and was tacked into that strip using furniture nails. Using a screwdriver and a chisel and tapping with a hammer I was able to work it out of the groove.

Next I picked up some 1/4" and 1/8" rod and bent myself some new frames using the rusty old ones as patterns. Brought them over to my dads who welded them right up for me.

Sandblasted the corners of the seat backing and used a disc sander to get all the flat spots (it was a rather humid cold day). I warmed up the metal and applied a few coats of primer.

After letting the primer set up I pulled out some 2" high density foam and made a cut out to fit the seat back. When I got it close by hand I applied a spray adhesive to the back of the seat and foam and worked the foam onto the seat back, effectively sticking the 2 together. Now time to work out all those darn corners on the foam. Using a 6-7" flat bendable 50 grit disc on the grinder I slowly worked off the corners a little at a time until I got it nice and smooth with a good soft edge. The trick here is to tap the power on the grinder and go VERY slowly otherwise the grinder catches the foam and gouges right into it. For the mess it makes I wore a set of coveralls and a respirator, youll be covered with foam dust from head to toe when your done. The next step involved using a piece of heavy duty carpet pad and installing it the same way as the foam. Glue, grind and slow.

Using the old seat bottom I drew an outline an inch bigger then it on a piece of 3" high density foam. I ended up cutting most of this off but always start with a little extra. If you have a big sheet it will try to go flying away when the grinder hits it so just tack a nail in the corners and you can use the grinder to cut the outlined shape you draw. Again I added a piece of carpet pad and ground her down to where I was happy.

I used 3/4" birch plywood for the seat bottoms and sent the old pieces over to my wifes dads house (hes a custom cabinet maker) and he just finished them up for me yesterday! How cool. They look great and FAR BETTER then I could ever do myself. Went ahead and reassembled the spring section using my frames and a bunch of cut to length springs I picked up from the hardware store for the Xs between the coils. Used a box of different sized hog rings for all the connections between pieces.

So that ends with a pic of the mock up of how it will look and work when Im done. Now to work on my patterns and see if I can get my wife to fire up the old industrial seweing machine, I have a funny feeling Im going to end up doing it though... Im going with a dark brown heavy duty vinyl. After talking with her dad I may try and use caning spline (used on woven chairs) to insert in the groove on the back of the seat and wrap around, but in reverse. As in the fabric will wrap into the groove and Ill install the spline down into the groove to hold tight the fabric with maybe a decorative fastener here and there. After that Ill probably repetitively wet the spline down with a sponge to get it to expand as tight as possible in the groove. Im planning on spraying the whole spring section down with a good coat of primer before actually putting the seat back together.

Thought someone might find this interesting for all the do-it-yourselfers! I guess its time to pull out the sewing supplies!

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
Excellent work Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and share the process. It certainly gives me courage to tackle the same task myself.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Wow, looks and sounds like you got it under control. I am anxious to see the final results, and hear about how comfortable they are. I can relate to the mouse nests, and the smells. The seat rebuilding business is much different than people would imagine.

Thanks for showing us your progress, I have a couple to do myself.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I made up patterns for my seats and have my fabrics cut and lined out. Mocked up the pieces with pins and it seems to be great. Now Ive got to figure out how this darn sewing machine works. We had it donated from her father who made the desk it sits in and the darn thing could sew boards together! eek

Not really looking forward to doing this but hey its all a learning experience. I bet it spins at about 500+ rpms. I KNOW I can use it because it has an oil pan! It cant be that much different! grin Ill get a picture of the setup if anyones interested.

Thanks, Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0