The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, tricordati, Pre '68 Dave), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#326776 10/25/2006 5:57 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 127
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 127
I have my original radio that came out of my 52 that needs complete restoring. Anyone ever had theirs restored? If so, who? how much? Is this something that I might could do myself if I were to get the parts? smile

Here's a picture of it: http://www.52resto.com/images/radio.jpg


1952 Chevy 5 Window Restoration
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Blake,
there are several options that you might want to consider. It is difficult for me to give you a simple answer about doing it yourself because I don't know how comfortable you are working with these radios. For me it is an enjoyable hobby but I don't have the time at this point in my life, to do it for a living. They are a fairly simple radio to work on, and obtaining parts is not a big problem. If you wished to give it a try, I could guide you step by step here on the forum and deal with any problems that might come up. In the event that you were stuck, I could resolve the problem if I had access to the radio for a few days. Here are some other options.

There are some in the business of restoring these radios, or at your option, completely replacing the insides with modern electronics. In general, with the modern electronics, I would expect that you would end up with a twelve volt setup.

There are also vendors that sell brand new radios that use reproduction dials and knobs and they look virtually identical to the original. You could buy one of those and sell your radio. When the bidding is really intense on Ebay, these unrestored radios do go for up to $350. As a trend, the prices seem to decline around Christmas, presumably because of other priorities with the buying public.

In any event, these radios are a valuable item to own at the moment. Just the other day on Ebay, there was a volume control offered for one of these and the bidding was at $201, the last time I looked!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 127
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 127
I think I am going to try and rebuild it myself, since I am able to get the gasget, knobs, radio bezel, etc... ALTHOUGH... I had a guy price me at $250 to restore it after I bought the parts and shipped it to him...


1952 Chevy 5 Window Restoration
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
Blake I have older man here in canada who restores radios. he charges around $200.00 complete plus shipping He did mine and it works great for an am radio. A complete radio recently went for $1000.00 on ebay. get it restored. Peter

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Blake,
they are just as much fun to restore as the truck. The feeling you will get when you hear the first tunes is just like running your rebuilt motor for the first time.

Fred


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
Fred is right get it restored

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
I repaired a radio for my 54 and am very pleased with how it turned out. Take your time and it will be well worth it.
Steve

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
hourhand,
thankyou for that posting. We need more members to tell how rewarding it is to repair your own radio!

Fred


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
I have repaired several old tube type radios. We have a 1930's Zenith Console radio in our living room that I like to listen to baseball games on. But my point is with patience and a schematic of the radio its not that hard. Replacement parts are available from many sources. I think its cool to listen to the 2006 World Series on a radio made 50-80 years ago.
Steve

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
That is very cool indeed. That would be a true fall classic!

Fred


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
There's a guy at the Charlotte AutoFair and will probably be at GoodGuys this weekend who has an antique car/truck radio business. He's got several for sale and they look like new, most of his radios run in the $300-$500 range. I think he converts them over to AM/FM... turn on once for AM, turn off and turn back on for FM. I can get information for you tomorrow if you want when I go to GoodGuys.

Lee


-----------
1965 Chevy C-10 Gallery page
My Chevy truck pages more info and pictures!
1961 Studebaker Hawk
1962 Shasta 16' AirFlyte Travel Trailer
1941 Case Model S tractor
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
A very helpful book for repairing old radios is "Antique Radio Restoration Guide" by David Johnson. It walks you through the steps needed to repair an old radio.
Steve

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 243
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 243
whos the most reasonable radio restoration guy for my 51 chevy truck radio? im in texas but will send anywhere would love to listen to longhorn games on am in the truck

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
dbone how good or bad shape is your radio in..Peter

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Dbone,
if you search this forum, you will see that a number of people has used this service. I haven't myself because I do this as a hobby:
http://www.taymanelectrical.com/

Although most of the entries here were talking about a modern conversion, his website does say that he restores them for those who require it.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0