The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (3B, Phak1, 1955 1 Series, Gib70, Joe H, KEVINSKI, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,451
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32121 08/04/2004 4:07 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox
Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
anybody out there know how to do this? what type of material? it would be nice to make one that fits perfect instead of jimmying around with one out of a donor vehicle. the truck is a 50.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
#32122 08/04/2004 5:56 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
If you're a TIG welder, make it out of stainless. If you're paying someone, check out Rock Valley Antique Auto. Hopefully the link I just did will work. Haven't quite figured out the link thing.
web page

Anyways, these guys specialize in gas tanks. You can send 'em your old one and they'll make a duplicate. Or they may already have the plans to make one for you without having to send your old one. I could be wrong but, seems the prices are reasonable too.


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
#32123 08/04/2004 6:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why make a new one or buy some high dollar tank? I found the 67-69 camaro tank (18 gal) fits perfect between the rear frame rails of my 54. Other options include 69 or 70 Mustang tanks and 74-81 camaro/firebird tanks. Unless you are building a show truck I would put the $300 you can save towards another more visible aspect of your project. Just my $0.02.

There are several sites that show donor tank installations/uses. A yahoo or google search should find them.

If you want to make one yourself go for it. I saw one site where the guy made his 20 gal tank out of 14ga steel but I would think that 16ga would be sufficient also.

#32125 08/05/2004 5:34 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
I have made a couple of tanks out of epoxy resin, fibreglass or dynel cloth and styrofoam. You shape the styrofoam to the desired shape of the tank, then lay up the cloth and resin on the foam plug. after the resin is cured, you cut a hole in the tank (e.g. for the sender) and pour gas into the tank. The gas dissolves the foam and you are left with a hollow tank. Make sure you use epoxy resin; polyester resin will eat the foam. You can make a tank to fit any application using this method. Don't forget to include baffles in the design.
Gord.


Gord
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
#32126 08/05/2004 2:25 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox
Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
How and where are the best place to position the baffles?


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
#32127 08/05/2004 7:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,225
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,225
I built my tank using 14 gauge steel and a mig welder. I used the heavy steel for safety and easy of welding. I added baffles inside for three equal compartments. I cut all four corners of the baffles to let fuel run thru. I hammer formed the end caps over a oak pattern. The case was one piece bent fout times over a 1 inch pipe for radius edge instead of a sharp corner. Is a 18 gallon that fits just the way I wanted. I had the end caps to weld and one long seam. To check it, I used 15 psi air and soapy water. If you weld slow and carefully, you won't have any problems. I believe you could set the truck on it and not damage it. It is heavy, but its not going to fail!! Total cost, 1 sheet of 4x8 steel, less than $50. Joe

#32128 08/06/2004 1:55 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
I agree with Joe's suggestions about the baffles. However, a 15 psi air test is too gutsy for me. The presure on a 2 foot square tank would be over 8600 pounds. For my tests, I used about 3 pounds, let it sit for 1/2 hour. Should be no loss in that time. This is the same technique we used for sewer systems when I was doing engineering/contruction work. I know a guy who was building an airplane and he blew up his wing tanks testing with too much air pressure - a lot of work ruined in an instant - be careful!

Gord


Gord
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
#32129 08/06/2004 9:35 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
Another option instead of steel baffles is fuel cell foam. You can buy it in blocks and just cut to fit inside your tank. I think the only way to get in in there is you need one something like one of those race car/motorcycle style cap deals with the large hole and bolts all the way around.

I bought an aluminum fuel cell that has the foam in it but am now thinking of building my own tank out of steel for a lower profile.

#32130 08/11/2004 2:16 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
This is something I'm looking at doing too, since I don't like the idea of a big bomb right under my ars.

You guys that are putting it between the frame rails, where are you putting the filler neck?
I was thinking about using one of those 40 gallon fuel cells you can buy from Summit, but how to fill it is the challenge. It would have to have a filler neck somewhere.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
#32131 10/24/2004 1:42 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 120
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 120
You can buy small cubes of fuel cell foam, that can fit in the feeler neck.

#32132 10/24/2004 3:08 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
custom classic trucks magazine, the latest issue has an article on a under bed tank with measurements. also placement of the filler. there is no date on the issue because of the address label covers it but on the front it says relocate your cab-mounted fuel tank and a blue and silver truck on the front. hope this helps. ron. i am planning on doing the same thing in the spring. but i have to move the exhaust system i just installed, duals, plus the brake lines are in the way. poor planning!!!!!!!!!!! ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
#32133 10/24/2004 5:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
You can always use a stainless steel beer keg, for a gas tank , then you have the fun of drinking the contents first while you do the rest of the work on the truck...


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0