| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,086 Posts1,056,333 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#29946 05/14/2005 10:09 PM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 204 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2004 Posts: 204 | I recently purchased new leaf springs for my '52 3100. I was told not to powder coat them because the heating process would dis-temper the springs.
Does anyone have any advice on this? | | |
#29947 05/14/2005 11:25 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Why would you want to powder coat them? PC does chip and water could get into the hole and spread between the PC and the steel. I have a PC mirror arm that chipped. | | |
#29948 05/15/2005 12:06 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 204 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2004 Posts: 204 | Would you suggest painting them? | | |
#29949 05/15/2005 12:26 AM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | I would suggest leaving them 'in the raw' the way that GM did - the first ones lasted 53 years, and prolly looked fine until they got abused too much - the constant flexing and sliding of the leaves against each other will make short work of anything else
Bill | | |
#29950 05/15/2005 3:11 AM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 454 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 454 | Yeah, either leave them in the raw or throw some rattle can black paint on them and don't worry about them.
Jeff Nelson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
| | |
#29951 05/15/2005 9:50 AM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | I've seen recommendations to use industrial paint that is graphite or zinc rich. That said, I've heard of spring shops powder-coating springs. I'm not sure 450 degrees would be enough to do anything to the temper on the springs.
olblu, it sounds as if that mirror arm wasn't properly prepared or otherwise powder coated right, or you hit it hard with something...I've powder coated tools and had no trouble. | | |
#29952 05/15/2005 10:37 PM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | After reading the other thread, I stand corrected...powder coating is safe, as long as the temp stays below 350 degrees. | | |
| |
| |