The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Naturalthud, Deegs53, CuzzFuzz, 1 invisible), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,466
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25044 04/15/2005 3:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
HELP!!... hey guys, I'm new here... need some suggestions or advice... I finished restoring (well...are we ever REALLY finished?) my '49 chev PU last year. I was at the end of my reassembly budget, so she got her original tranny (rebuilt) and closed tube, and pumpkin put back in. my pumpkin has started singing to me if I let off the gas and/or downshift down a hill, or just coast. I wanna replace all from the bell back. I'm looking for more modern. is there a particular maodel year chevy (60's or 70's) that will bolt up to my 261 (not 216) as a fairly simple retro? One that will give me more modern gearing, and an open driveline? any suggestions greatly appreciated...thanks feel free to email me.


be well, do good work, and keep in touch.
#25045 04/16/2005 2:40 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 187
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 187
If you want to keep your original transmission you need to find a closed tube from a 3/4 ton which only goes half way back,and open from there on back.You would have to have the back half shortened to fit,and the rear joint changed to fit the rearend.You would have to add a cross member to support the midshaft bearing,a piece of 2 inch channel will work for this.A rear from a 55-59 truck is ideal but a newer one with 6 lugs will do also.You will need to dismantled your rear springs and turn them around to keep the wheel aligned in the fender hole.


_____________
Floyd

If we choose being kind over being right,we will
be right every time.
Knowledge is a poor substitute for experience.
Remember what is precious to another, may not be to you, but it
is precious nonetheless.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
#25046 04/16/2005 4:18 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Hoping to do the same conversion on my 49. I was fortunate enough to be given a rear axle from a Task Force series truck as well as a drive shaft and a 3 speed transmission from the same era.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#25047 04/18/2005 2:10 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
olblu49.. can u give me more detail as to your plans re ur 49 rear end conversion? return email: [email protected]


be well, do good work, and keep in touch.
#25048 04/25/2005 8:22 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 39
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 39
For my '48 I kept the original bell housing and clutch and added a late 60's 3 speed (fully syncronized) which fit nicely-I did have to grind off the top ear of the trans mount for clearance. then put an 85 blazer rear with a 2.73 ratio so I can get on the freeway and keep up with my son's 53 half ton. An 89 s-10 driveshaft fit with not modification! I am putting in a trans. crossmember and bought a rear axle conversion kit from chevy duty-made friends with a welder. To keep the column shifter I asked our local High School welding shop to fabricate a bracket to link the '48 linkage with the late 60's transmission and it worked... still a work in progress- got disk brakes to add when they get here in a few weeks... things are coming together though.

#25049 04/27/2005 12:45 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
I did the conversion on my 51, 3100.using a 87 full size blazer rear and a saginaw 4spd trans out of a camaro,and a drive shaft out of a camaro, I am running a 1954 ,235. truck runs sixty mph at 2000 rpms worth the effort. old navy 51............


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0