Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 | Hi all, I just found out that you guys move your new rearends back a little because the original axel was not centered in the wheel wells. Thanks to Longbox55. My body is off the frame and I have no way to visually make an adjustment. Does anyone know the exact measurement to set back a new rearend to center it. I have a '54 panel and will be installing a '76 Nova rearend.
All the best, Ted
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Ted, I'm not sure I exactly understand the question but I'll give it a shot. Find the center of your rear springs. My 37 actualy had a centering "pin" sticking up but the Malibu rear end would be off center if I used it as is. So, I cut me a 1/2 inch steel plate, then cut a hole in it for the original pin to stick up into. Next I moved the Malibu rear end till I had it centered in my rear wheelwell and marked it. Since I was using about 3inch lowering block I threaded a hex head bolt up into the lowering block so it would fit down into the "second" hole I drilled in the plate. Once it was sitting down/centered in the plate, I then set the Malibu rear end on top of the lowering block and the rear end was centerd. I hope you can follow all this or understand? Sure hope it helps. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 | Thank you Achipmunk. I understand your process. You centered the malibu rearend axel over the original center pins using the fabrication process you described correct? My understanding about Advanced Design panels (47 - 54) is that the original centering pins were actually forward of the center of the wheel wells. So when people replace the rearend they move it back a little in order to have a more centered look. If this is true then I would like to know how far behind the original centering pins the new rear axel center should be. Since my body is off the frame I can not make a visual adjustment. I may be all wrong here, so please correct me. Thanks for the time.
All the best, Ted
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | I set mine at 1 1/2 inches. I also drilled a hole for 2 inches just in case. But I was happy with 1 1/2". | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | When I set up the spring perches on my 37 pickup, I used some perches made for both regular center pin set ups in the middle of the wheel opening, like my truck has, and for AD trucks which have the pins offset. The distance between the two is 2", so the offset is figured at 2". Joe 
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | my new 12 bolt (77 suburban 1/2ton axle) is back 2-1/2'' I used the 1-1/2'' kit from chevy duty http://www.classicparts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=93-311 and still added a 7''x1-1/2''x1/4'' plate welded to the bottom of that 3'' U axle part of the kit. That 3'' U axle kit part has a hole for the re~centering the pin of the springs back @ 1-1/2''. I drilled a hole in the new 1/4'' plate to locate the spring pin back 1 more inch then welded the new plate to the U axle part. this was needed to clear my under bed gas tank to fit in front of the axle and high up into the frame. I used my old stock gas tank filler neck (rotated 180 degrees) to now fill the new under bed tank. but It sits beautifully and is a well centered tire. i had to get a new drive shaft anyway so what the heck. http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=009535;p=1#000003
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 | Ted, On my 49 suburban I moved the axle back 2 inches. I drilled two holes in the adapter plate that I made 2 inches apart. The wheel looks centered in the wheel well now. Of course the wheelbase is no longer 116 inches but that would matter only to a purist. Good luck on your project.
Weeds | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 | Thank you all so much. I am putting my Nova rearend in tomorrow. I will move it back either 1-1/2 or 2 inches. You guys have saved me from being devestated at final assembly and wondering why my rear wheels arn't centered. You can be assured I will have more questions in the near future. This is a kick *** site.
All the best, Ted
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 47 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 47 | Is it possible that my Passenger's rear wheel sits forward MORE than my Driver's rear wheel? I guess anything's possible. It's much closer to the fender than the other side.
Glad someone started this thread. It's cool to have a site where people post answers to questions that haven't even really formed yet.
'52 3800 Panel School bus conversion... Glass all around. (check the gallery!)
outside of a dog, a book is a man's best freind. inside of a dog it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Bent spring, warped fender, twisted body, twisted frame, etc. Could be anything. Even one of the springs put in backwards. Time to start measuring. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | joelmorain,
I think even a small discrepancy in the geometry of the rear end will show itself when you drive the truck down the road. I call it "crabbing"..you have probably seen it. A vehicle travels straight down the road, but at a angle, depending on which way the axle is cocked.
Broken center bolts are a common cause of this problem.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 223 | Ted, just an FYI, some folks say that if you flip the springs end to end, the mounting pin ends up so that axle centers in the middle of the wheel well. I never tried it and you would have to switch the bushing and threaded sleeve on the spring. In addition if you are welding up spring perches be aware of your rear end pinion angle. The angle of the pinion shaft to level should mirror the angle of transmission shaft. Good luck, Steve O | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 119 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 119 | My 49 Chevy pickup has original spring perches that set the axle back 1-1/2". First I have seen that the wheels were originally centered with the torque tube rearend. | | |
| |