Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,402 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 | I'm Jerry from Hattiesburg Mississippi. I'm currently in the middle of roddng a 46 for a gentleman I know. Sorry if that offends the original crowd. The truck is not going to be stock in any real sense of the word. It has a 355 backed by a tci 350 in a Ford 9 inch. Majority of the work aside from the paint will be done by me. Is there any special tips for mounting the cab? This is all rolling on a fully custom new chassis. Are there any special tips when mounting the bed or cab? Looking forward to talking more. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 272 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 272 | Hi Jerry and welcome! You won't offend anyone here with custom talk. Did you check out the Hi-Po Shop and the paint and body shop yet? I am sure there are many "Bolters" who would love to share ideas with you. Sounds like you have an interesting project! Nice that you could join us! littlebuddie
1948 AD Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 | Thanks for the welcome. I'm still unsure and probably aren't looking in the right spot to find the meaning of stove bolt. I've documented everything on this truck so far. Heck of a project though. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 | Hey, J, welcome. "You won't offend anyone here with custom talk." Not necessarily true, but don't let that getcha down. You don't actually need the meaning of Stovebolt (note the capital letter) because you're making an eight-holer. But we are nothing if not liberal, here. Try surfing through the other discussion boards here in the Virtual Garage to find the specific information you're looking for. I'd suggest the Paint and Bodyshop or the Hi-Po shop. Good luck. I'd say I'm sorry I cant be more help, but I'd be fibbing. I see no good reason to screw with what is, in essence, an immortal design. 1951 3800 Be the change you want to see. -hotshoe
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 | Isn't my choice Hotshoe. I'm the guy who does all the work not the one who pays for it. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 428 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 428 | Welcome to the 'Bolt, Jerry. Sounds like you have an interesting project going on. Perhaps I can get up with you sometime to see the '46 your working on if I am ever in your neck of the woods. I am about a hour drive east of you in McComb. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 | Welcome! Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us posted on your progress. As far as "special tips when mounting the bed or cab" on a custom frame, need more info as to the problems you are having.
Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 | Bigbassman sounds good. I usually go through your neck of the woods once a month or so. 49_chevy I was looking for more of a heads up on common problems. Do you guys ever use Jim Carter? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,412 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,412 | Hello Jerry, Welcome to the "Bolt". Stock or custom, we like them all. Do you have any old trucks yourself? Just curious, how did you find us? Was it word of mouth, or just surfing the net?
Either way, we're glad to have you on board.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | J_Roth: Yes we like Jim Carter, those of us that haven't had problems with them. I have found most vendors to be easy to deal with. Do a search here on the Bolt for specific vendors for each application. Sounds like an interesting project you have there. Check out, http://cards.webshots. This is a great place to post pictures of your work/progress on the 46 so that we can follow your work and help us better answer your questions.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 | Thanks Big Chevy. I've ordered quite a few parts from them. Sometimes the shipping delay is less than desireable.I have zero product complaints. I'll check out the link you posted. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 382 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 382 | Welcome aboard, Jerry! Good to have you here! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 | Jerry, Welcome...There is plenty of advice here for anyone who asks. Good to have you. Please post pics of your project. Rich | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 | Tomm I'll be working on running a full exhaust. I'll post a pic of it. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | Welcome to the 'Bolt. What does \'Stovebolt\' mean? Stovebolt on Wikipedia Lots of custom guys in the Hi-Po shop with advice on making stuff fit. We of course, will require images of this project. -W | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | Welcome j_roth, i am not for chopping up anything old but if it preserves the basic shape and make it more enjoyable to drive i am all for it. again welcome. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 | Sorry I didn't post a link yet. I've just been very busy. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | Nice looking rolling frame.
What disc brakes are you using on the Ford 9-inch?
Just curious.
-W | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | Welcome J and rest assured that you won't offend most here, me included. I've used Jim Carter a lot and have had no problems at all. You may save some research time by referencing the parts list that I have linked on my Gallery page. Good Luck, Don My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 10 | | | |
| |