The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 97 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,121
Posts1,056,328
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#235176 06/05/2007 4:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13
'
Junior Member
Junior Member
' Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13
All I have installed a power steering conversion kit on my 1953 GMC 1/2 ton pick up and after getting it all installed and plumbed and filled I started the truck and let it bleed the air out then topped it off. I started the truck back up and tried to turn the wheel I had some resistance at first then it let go and all seemed to work well, Then I looked under the truck and saw a puddle the steering box is leaking at the input shaft. I removed the jam nut and the nut to repair the seal put it back together but it still leaks.

Any suggestions? CPP told me they would sell me a new steering box, but I don't want to yet.

Evan

#235177 06/05/2007 4:16 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Evan,
Check to see that you don't have the pressure & return hoses crossed. There are other places to buy exchange steering boxes besides CPP.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
#235178 06/05/2007 5:58 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13
'
Junior Member
Junior Member
' Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13
Thanks Fred I have verified that the hoses are correct, and I can get a box from Advance Auto Parts for $159.00. What I ment was CPP seemed more interested in selling me new parts rather than giving me clear reasoning as to why the leak is at the input shaft.

I think I will get another box from the salvage yard.

#235179 06/06/2007 12:16 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Evan,
I'm not so sure CPP would be selling you a "new" box, like most of the aftermarket suppliers it is likely a reconditioned unit with the core charge included in the price. They don't have a shop or install this stuff so the technical level is somewhat limited.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0