Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem I've noticed with door glass channels: Picture The cloth wrapping obviously shrinks and creates a problem in the corner where the cloth pulls away from the channel. Nice, huh? I would think everyone here has this same problem -- yes? I bought these channels from Chevy Duty around 4 years ago and they've probably been like this for the past year or two. I'll be installing new ones when my truck gets back from paint later this Summer and I thought I'd better figure something out for the next pair. Is there a better manufacturer of these? Or is there something to treat the cloth with?
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 | My 54 looks about the same and they are about the same age. I don't know the answer to your question is and to be truthful I can't even remember what I "secured" them with to begin with. Hope someone has a good idea.
54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam" Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
| | | | | Joined: May 2002 Posts: 155 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2002 Posts: 155 | When I put them in I use a small rounded block of wood and a hammer, walking the channel around the curves, then drilled a couple of small holes and used small pop rivets to secure them in the curves.. First ones I did this way about 15 yrs ago and they still haven't moved..
Geoff
68 GMC 3800 56 JD420C w/JD90 Loader
| | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | I installed mine the same way you did yours, Geoff ... only I used screw instead of rivets.
NOTE: The channels themselves are perfectly intact ... it's just that cotton cloth that shrinks and pulls away!
I've contacted Classic Parts about this ... and I'll be asking around at the car shows for the best manufacturer.
Once I find the solution, I'll definitely be letting everyone here know about it.
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 345 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 345 | Maybe they can be sprayed with a rubberized coating (e.g. undercoating) before installing. I recently put a new channel in one of my doors-no problems yet but I'm sure I will based on what you're sayin'. I might try to coat it in place. | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | Coating it *may* help ... but, then again, it may not.
The cloth is shrinking from weather, sunlight, heat, etc. and the type of cloth (weave) they are using is a poor choice for this application. It's also faded and looks poor ... which means they aren't being careful about *that* either.
You know, I don't mind saving money on any product ... but not when it compromises the quality of what I'm purchasing it for. The problem is that many manufacturers out there are targeting their products at expensive show cars ... cars that aren't really driven or used much.
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | Check this out: I just heard from Classic Parts -- kudos to them for such a prompt reply!
Here's what they said: If they aren't installed correctly they will do that. When installing them they need to be bent with the metal spine so they don't split.
what I replied with is this: I don't understand how one could *not* bend them with the metal spine, as must be done during the install. Is there something I'm missing?
Does anyone know what he's getting at???
I mean, you have to bend the metal spine to make the curve at the top of the window ... how can someone bend the metal spine without bending everything else, too? Is he giving me some double-talk here, or what?
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | Another Update: Hmmm ...
More Info from Classic Parts: Sometimes when people bend them, the back of the channel where the cloth is attached will come apart and split and after time will eventually split like yours. When attaching them some people use extra weather-stripping adhesive in the corner for that reason.
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Fabric takes on many different role's depending on what is done to it in the process of making it and for what "enduse". Does it need Scotch Guard, anti-pill, anti=stat,fire retardant etc. When fabric is made it is usually "heatset" at a certain temp to retain its width or should I say to give it a "memory set". It also depends a lot on tension settings when made regardless of it being knitted or woven, what the material itself is made of such as Cotton, poly/cotton blend, rayon, nylon, etc etc. I can bet you it probably starts out as good stuff but steps are skipped to keep the cost down but we probably never see the savings on our end and pay the "utmost" for it anyway. I printed, finished and dyed fabric for over 35 years and you would be "amazed" at what goes on. Its a cut throat busisness that is almost vertually done overseas now. You are also at the mercy of just how some individual felt the day they ran your fabric or how well they paid attention to the process. You can bet whoever made it is NOT ISO certified!! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | sounds to me like you just have to replace them every 5 years or keep the truck inside seems like all weather striping on all cars starts going bad after 5 or 10 years unless there parked inside | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | I guess you're right, 32fire2 ... I'm always expecting aftermarket items to hold up like the original stuff did. Silly me.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Achipmunk ... it's all right on the mark.
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | |
| |