Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,376 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 | I would like to get a little more speed out of my '55 second series with the 235 six. What do you guys think would be the smarter way to go. A period correct three speed with the overdrive or a set of higher rear end gears?
Thanks! Andy | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I went with the overdrive myself. Keeps the performance of the lower rear gear (3.90) but still cruises just fine when od is engaged.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | i live in realtivly flat indiana and i have 2.73 nova rear with 215/75/15 tires and it does just fine around here. ron BTW go to www.randysringandpinion.com and play with their calculator.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | I like the idea of an overdrive. Best of both worlds... a true Win/Win situation. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Do you pull a trailer or carry heavy loads? If you do you need the lower gears so you probably want an overdrive. Otherwise you'll probably be find with changing the rear gears to something about 3 to 1.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | Why not go with the best of both worlds...a T-5 OD tranny and 3.55 rear end? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | actually the gears available for the TF rear are 3.38 .... fine for fairly flat country and light loads, but a lot more spendy than finding an original OD 3spd or even updating to a 4spd with an OD 4th
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | You can answer that question yourself with this http://www.drivetraindirect.com/t_gear_calculator.htm And the knowledge of how you want to drive and use your truck considering the capabilities of the engine and at what RPM. First know what your choices are as far as gears and transmission ratios, then guess and check with the calculator till you find a combo that suits. Grigg | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 | I went with the overdrive transmission in my 53 and a 3.90 rear end. This gives me a 2.73 final gear in o.d. on the highway. Getting over 20 mpg. Couldn't be happyer. Tom | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 | What do you guys think is a fair price for an original overdrive trans? I posted a wanted ad on this site, but the only reply I've gotten is for one that is $350 plus shipping from Texas to Wisconsin. It needs to be gone through yet too. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | Altough I have a different setup in my 55 2nd series,A 350 cu.in.V/8.I kept the stock 3:90 rear and put in a 700R4 OD tranny.I now have the best of both worlds ,plenty of power off of the line and it cruises at 65 to 75 MPH.Also gets 20 MPG.Same thing should apply to your inline 6.Maybe a T5 OD tranny and your stock gears. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | Originally posted by apbmalibu: What do you guys think is a fair price for an original overdrive trans? I posted a wanted ad on this site, but the only reply I've gotten is for one that is $350 plus shipping from Texas to Wisconsin. It needs to be gone through yet too. Keep looking, they are tough to find but I have seen them as low as $75(basic trans,no cable/wiring, unknown cond, but rolls thru gears)at the swap meet. Swap meet season is coming up, hit a few & see. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | I've seen TF OD's on e-bay regulrly, usually go for $1-2 hundred. 350 is a bit high unless it's guarenteed good
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 | Thanks. I'm trying to stay away from modernizing the truck at all. It is a very nice original truck. I'll just keep my eyes open for a trans at the area swap meets. Will I have to shorten the drive shaft at all?
Thanks again guys! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | no - direct bolt in swap and lots of info here regarding setting up the controls
Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 | I have owned several vehicles with the 3 speed and o.d. trans. No question it is the absolute best combination you could ever have in any vehicle. Definitely go with the o.d., you will love it, guaranteed. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | Be aware that there are different OD's used in GM vehicles. The early one (55-65) has a 4 bolt side cover and will match up with your stock application. The later type 66-69 (7 bolt side cover)is a Saganaw full syncro trans w/OD and is very desireable. It will require a fine spline yoke and some shift arm tweaking. It is also more rare and usually priced accordingly. Either one will make a big improvement in the driveability of this old iron. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I've bought 2 of them, one from a '55 wagon, the other from a '57 Power Pack convertible. the first one was $150, the second was $100. Seems to be the average price in this area for one.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | I put myself in debt and went with the Gear Vendors unit. I have 7 gears including the granny with my original 3:90 posi rear. It truly gives me the best of both worlds. I can run 80 mph at 2800 rpm in 4th over which is the same rpm as 60mph in 4th. One day I want to pull an airstream around the country. I believe this tranny combo with a beefed up 261 will be just the ticket. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 | The idea of an overdrive interests me for a 1948 two ton. I am a newbie and was wondering if they are available. Is it an add on unit or a totally different tranny? A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 | Super55 if you have a two ton you have the perfect reason to use a auxiliary tranny. I put a three speed brownie in a 47 1.5 ton project I'm working on and it works great. The brownie has under direct and over. In the over drive gear this makes 50 to 65 mph easy with the stock rear end. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I like the T-5. It gives you close ratio gears. I put a 4 speed gearshift lever on it & it looks like an original 4 speed. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |