The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Millenimech, klhansen), 161 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,289
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#233074 05/01/2007 3:42 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Well folks check this one out !
placed an order at Summitt racing for final this an thats , needed to get my truck on the road ...in the tune of over 700$...so i try there YOULL BE CONTACTED WITHIN 24 HRS via the web on your ? ...well that didnt work , soo set on hold for 10 or 15 minutes till i talked to a human being ...told em what was up ..my Grant steerin wheel arrived in THERE box ....sealed ...well the package for the wheel looked tattered ....so i start through installin ..an get near the end an it hits me ...there isnt a horn cap in all these parts ..HMMM ...looked again ...NOPE..I figured it was in the install kit i purchased with the wheel ..NOPE.. it didnt come with the wheel ...I sent a ? to Grant they said the package shoulda been covered in plastic ...it was not THEY WERE VERY PROMPT IN REPLYIN ........so I talk to the Customer Service Guy (at Summitt)...an he says OOOH it is on the way ! ..I think cool ...few minutes later i get a mail sayin it on the way ..BUT I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT !!!!!!!...what the hell !
I guess Summitt just seen the last of this guys $ ..forever ...an Ill keep ya posted on another person postin parts here that is just a bit on the Shady side !..if my guts aint lyin to me ...
Man havin a bad day with parts !


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#233075 05/01/2007 4:32 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 38
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 38
I have purchased several times from summitt no problems once they had back order a item but it did arrive correctly
Ed

#233076 05/01/2007 4:51 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The only issue I have with Summitt is they charge "no shipping" but have a handling charge of nearly $11. Maybe not dishonest but shady to say the least.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#233077 05/01/2007 7:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Sorry to hear you had a problem with Summit.I have been dealing with them for years and never had any problems.

#233078 05/01/2007 7:30 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I guess the real question is, was the steering wheel supposed to come with a horn cap? Was the item listed in their catalog as including a horn cap?

I personally wouldn't expect a 'racing style' or aftermarket steering wheel to come with a horn cap, just because it's probably sold as a 'one size fits all' or 'one style for many models' kind of product.

The people making the steering wheel don't know what specific make or model vehicle you'll be putting it on.. maybe you want a horn cap with a bowtie emblem on it.. maybe you want one with your name on it.. or maybe you just want a blank one.. who knows.

Seems like not including the cap would allow the customer to further customize their setup, and not have to include the cost of a 'generic' cap in the price of the steering wheel.

But.. if it doesn't come with a cap, then they should say so.

Just like USB printers don't come with cables.. most rims i've ever bought don't come with lug nuts.

I don't know which steering wheel you purchased, but i'm looking at a list of them now on summits website here and it's pretty clear to me that there are no horn caps included with the wheels, just by looking at the pictures, combined by the fact they sell the horn cap separately for $25.

In fact, when you're looking at the 'more info' page for the individual steering wheels, under the 'suggested parts' tab it shows the horn cap for that particular steering wheel along with a price.

So what's your complaint with Summit? That you didn't read and understand the product description before ordering? How is that their fault?


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
#233079 05/01/2007 7:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
ouch.. i hope heidts treats me better.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#233080 05/01/2007 7:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Never had the first problem with Summit Racing and I've done business with them since Moby D-ick was a minnow.

As for Grant products....go to your local AutoZone/Advanced stores...check out the Grant wheels and the specialized adaptor kits that come specifically for YOUR application. One size kit doesn't fit all....a Caddy telescoping mount kit for a Grant wheel runs $75.00.

Like you said......Let the buyer BE AWARE!


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#233081 05/02/2007 2:28 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
well i'm glad to know this, i'll think hard before i buy anything


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
#233082 05/02/2007 12:26 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
My Summit story. I have only dealt with them once. Bought a set of wheels. Talked to them on Friday afternoon. They said shipping was free unless I wanted next day or second day delivery, then there was a charge. Figured regular shipping was good enough. They told me it was too late to get them out for the day and that they wouldn't ship until Monday. Still, no problem. So they ship on Monday and Wednesday afternoon I walk out in the garage and there they sit. 2 days and for free. I like Summit.


My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!
#233083 05/02/2007 12:34 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 180
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 180
I have never had an issue with Summit either. They have a real nice store too. I dont know what to think about this whole deal, I agree, definately check into whether or not that wheel should have come with a horn cap or not, if so, then I would say its an issue to take up with the manufacturer of the steering wheel, not Summit.
Thanks,
Scott


1950 Chevy 3100 5 window "in progress"
1967 Chevelle 300
#233084 05/02/2007 1:25 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Fumblin,
yes the I read the item discription and yes it was to be with the wheel , like i stated in my post the box with the wheel had some serious shelf wear ...and the plastic dust cover so ya can see the wheeel through was missing along with the cap someone there removed it for 1 reason or another .....but i have been misled bye there item descriptions before ,
so if ya want to get technical check out Summitt part # VDO-600909, these are the electric gauges I purchased , read on the sending units for the oil and water temp ...in there description it says NOT INCLUDED ....so I ordered 1 for each gauge ...GUESS WHAT THE SENDING UNITS WERE IN THE BOX WITH THE GAUGES~!, so I have $40 worth of sending units here I didnt need to send back to the helpful folks , I guess that is NOT Summitts fault either ???...I DO KNOW HOW TO READ BEFORE ORDERING PARTS


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#233085 05/02/2007 2:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
If I order something from Summit by 4 PM,it will be sitting on my front porch the following afternoon.What is posted about steering wheels is true.I have a LeCarra wheel on my 55 along with a Billet Specialties column and I also had to buy an adapter for the wheel.On the steering wheel I bought the horn button was included.Course I live about 70 miles from their Talmadge,OH store and I usually go right to the store for a lot of things.

#233086 05/02/2007 2:40 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
I have always had a good performance and results from Summitt I have purchchased thousands of $$$ worth of parts over the yrs ..with no probs . I AM NOT BASHIN EM FOR THAT..they just state in there catalogs an there site that CUSTOMER SERVICE is there #1 point of focus an the 1 time i needed it they failed ...they never replied to my ?'s as you are directed to do over the net ...I dont like to be a pain in any ones arse or be a nagger ...but after 3 days an no reply to 2 ?'s i sent em i decided to try a human being ...wich took forever ...an he was real prompt soon as i told him my name he knew who i was an what i was callin abought so that tells me there they had my ?'s in there data base but didnt want to deal with it ..AM I WRONG for thinkin that ?.......
an then to find out I have to pay for a part that I already payed for kinda pisses me off ...Im sorry if I offended anyone ...but i would think they would be a bit better on a mistake on there part .
It was not like i was tryin to screw em or get a free part ...I payed for the part it was not there an when i asked they avoided me an when i finally got through I get charged for the part I already payed for ...WOULDNT YOU BE JUST A BIT OFF BYE THAT ?


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#233087 05/02/2007 2:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
I have bought many items from Summit and never had a problem. Even returned unused parts a year later and got a refund. Sorry about your problems with Summit , SW Radial.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0