The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (49nut, ShopRag, Youngin' Tut 59, Bills Auto Works, TexasA&M48Truck, Napco Man), 140 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,681
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228412 03/02/2007 1:34 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 84
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 84
I am looking a picking up a new rear axle for my 1948 GMC. I found one out of a 1997 2500 4x4 HD but I would like to know the gear ratio befor I buy it. I have the production date motor size and vin. Is there anywhere I can look this up?
Thanks..

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
If you have the VIN of the doner, you can check with any GM dealer to find out the equipment that was on it. Any particular reason you want to use that diff? I would think that it would be awfull wide for a '48, especially if you use the 4x4 version.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 84
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 84
One of the reasons that diff appealed to me is the axle ends look almost identicle to what is on it. I measured the dust backing plates and they are the exact same distance appart (52") I did not get the wheels off of it today to see if the distance between wheel mounting surfaces are the same. I will check that tommorow.
Thanks for the info Bill.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
the rear end should be close to the same width


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8
4
Junior Member
Junior Member
4 Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8
3.73 or 4.10


1957 3600 line built Napco
1957 6400 350 and hoist
1949 3600 14 year project
Lots of other jeeps,chevs, Yota and even a F**D

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0