The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
I was wondering where the spare tire was kept on a 60 Apache 10 stepside. I don't have a side tire carrier. I don't have a spare tire and when I buy one I'm not sure where to put it. Can they be mounted under the truck?
Joe


54 Triumph TR2(rhd)needs total resto.
60 Apache 10 stepside shortbed
99 Excelsior Henderson
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Joe:

Some of '60-'66 trucks with the stepside bed had a spare tire mount on the drivers side rear fender. Some of the '60-'66 trucks with the fleetside bed had a spare tire mount inside the bed forward of the wheel tub on the drivers side. Lastly many of the '60-'66 trucks had a spare tire mount under the bed behind the rear axle. Your '60-'66 Chev/GMC Factory Assembly Manual shows all of these options. Good luck with your project.

Tony

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
Thanks Tony,
I appreciate the information. I'd like to mount it underneath if possible. I only have a owners manual for the truck, eventually I'll buy more manuals.
Joe


54 Triumph TR2(rhd)needs total resto.
60 Apache 10 stepside shortbed
99 Excelsior Henderson
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
click on 'under bed tire'

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/woogeroo/albums

The diagram image there is a scan from a LMC parts catalog I believe.

--

click on:

1965 chevrolet stepside pickup under the bed spare tire setup (images of my actual truck)

http://picasaweb.google.com/woogeroo

--

I have not yet put my spare under my bed, as I have 'previous owner' issues with the current exhaust setup. Once I get the exhaust setup like I want, then I can put my tire under there.

I hope this helps...

-W

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
Thanks W,
The pictures helped a lot, you have some nice vehicles.It looks like that's where I'll mount it if possible.
Joe


54 Triumph TR2(rhd)needs total resto.
60 Apache 10 stepside shortbed
99 Excelsior Henderson
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
My 61 fleetside has the spare tire under the bed. It's located towards the end of the bed in the center.


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Go to a salvage yard and get a spare tire cable winch from a more modern truck. I know Nissan uses a small compact winch that is granked by some small round stock. Just mount it to a piece of channel iron strattling across the frame rails and you're done,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Quote
Originally posted by cal55:

you have some nice vehicles.
The only one that is mine is my '65 chevy truck.

grin

-W

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Quote
Originally posted by 48bigtrucks:
Go to a salvage yard and get a spare tire cable winch from a more modern truck. I know Nissan uses a small compact winch that is granked by some small round stock. Just mount it to a piece of channel iron strattling across the frame rails and you're done,
Scott
the full size chevy half ton from late 80's to the 1998 or so had the same winch type part... I bought one from a yard from a 1996 chevy truck... before I found the stock unit for mine. I think they still use that same deal, but I do not know for sure.

My dad's old 1985 s-10 had a similiar deal. I think his newer 2003 s10 has that type part also.

My dad found one(a winch type unit) from a gm minivan he is thinking about using on his '53 chevy truck.

The winch would be easier to use once you get it set up tho', assuming it stays in good working order.

It is all about how correct with your truck you are trying to be I suppose.

are ya good and confused yet cal55?

grin

-W

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
Thanks for all the good ideas and relpies. I was confused already, sit doesn't really matter. :confused:


54 Triumph TR2(rhd)needs total resto.
60 Apache 10 stepside shortbed
99 Excelsior Henderson
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Quote
Originally posted by cal55:
Thanks for all the good ideas and relpies. I was confused already, sit doesn't really matter. :confused:
I felt like that for at least the first year I owned my '65 c10...

haha.

grin

But you are in the right place... with the rest of us truck nuts.

-W


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0