Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,401 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 13 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 13 | Hi all....another Newbie with questions..I'm doing a frame off on my 51.....I have already installed a '80 Monte Carlo clip..and I will be changing the rearend soon. My question is should I Box any or all the frame? Does the frame need to have any flex in it ?.... Thanks for any help or advice
If it's not a Chevy, its just a four letter word... you choose which one.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 | I boxed the front from the clip back to the trans mount. I also c-notched the rear and boxed that aswell. If your not going to c-notch I wouldn't worry about the rear, the frame is plenty strong back there.
Wilbur | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Your frame flexes, if your going to box any of it you need to box all of it. If not it can create fatigue in front of and to the rear of where you box it and can crack or weaken those areas.
If your not putting some serious horsepower unde it you shouldnt need to box it. Whats your plan with it?
Jeff | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | To box, or not to box.
Those old frames are plenty strong for the stock engines and gearing.
If you'll be putting something ballsier than the stock drive train, i'd box the frame.. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure they say.
But as was mentioned earlier in the thread.. it's my understanding that if you box the frame, you should box it all the way.
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Beware of creating stress risers. If you do you WILL pay.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Well now, can someone advise those of us that plan on running a mild 350 sbc (290/310 hp) and 350 turbo tranny to box or not to box. I have read that the AD truck frames were made strong and boxing would not be needed. However they may have assumed the motor would be a hot water six.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 180 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 180 | The way it was described to me from a guy who has done about 10 of these. (He is going to be doing a 79 Camaro front clip in mine soon) Unless you are planning on doing some serious horsepower upgrades (like something real sick like a 572 or something) and doing some real serious ragging on it (drag racing/serious holeshots) there really is not any need to box the frame. Its just extra weight, and creates that much more potential for heat/stress damage from all of the welding.
1950 Chevy 3100 5 window "in progress" 1967 Chevelle 300
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 13 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 13 | Hey Guys sorry I havn't been back on 'puter recently, been consumed by work... thanks for the advice and ideas....got some thinkin to do on this one...I didnt think about the stress crack problem....... Thanks all.............Scott
If it's not a Chevy, its just a four letter word... you choose which one.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | I am running a 350 300 horse and 700R4 tranny in my 55 2/nd.Also an M2 frontend.I only boxed the front part of the frame in order to install the M2 unit.It runs great,no problems. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 222 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 222 | I may be way off base here so please feel free to correct me! I can't see how you can box the frame without sections that are not boxed or there is a need to rebuild the cross supports. The support behind the cab is riveted on the outside and top. I can not see how you could box this area without leaving a hole for the crossmember or having to rebuid the crossmember. Spring mounts and so on rely on being able to bolt to the channel frame. If this area is boxed, you will need holes in it to reach the bracket bolts. If you have made the rest of the frame ridgid by boxing, all of these openings and holes localize the stress induced in the frame. I guess my question is, if you want to box, how do you deal with cross members and other attachments that would need access? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 13 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 13 | Wow, the more questions that get answered the more are raised....uuummmm...several options.... great point!!!!!!!! on the cross members....
If it's not a Chevy, its just a four letter word... you choose which one.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 158 | An inline six weighs more than an SBC.
And a 235, in the bulldog gear, with a steep rear end, pulling something on the farm with a chain, will put the frame under a lot more stress than the occasional quick departure from a stoplight with your mild V8.
No Box.
Cheers, mark. '51 KY 3100 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | All I have heard on this topic is that the AD frame is plenty tough and unless you plan on instaling an Allison Aircraft 24 cyl. leave it alone.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 677 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 677 | I boxed the front of my frame to install a Mustang II IFS and also because the PO had hacked up the right top side of the frame to clear the exaust and fuel pump ! (see pictures) the PO also made engine mounts out of bedrails,flat & round stock that were laying around his garage causing small cracks on the frame around his welds I cant see that boxing the frame would hurt anything Good Luck Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs. 1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old" | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 677 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 677 | Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs. 1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old" | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Just to throw this in on the crossmembers, if your going to spend the time and money to box the frame, I would customize the crossmembers to fit the entirely boxed frame. But again, without throwing some serious torque at it, you shouldnt need to box it.
Your concerns here are the engine torqing over when being romped on, and/or having, say, a 4 link suspension under it thats gonna put stress on the frame. You still havent told us what your planning on doing with the truck.
I wouldnt box it short of 400+ HP and taking it to the drags... Just my opinion. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 13 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 13 | I do plan on having a 6-71 Blown SB,eventually. But for now I'm putting s 350/350 out of an '82 ImpalaI just wanted to Beef up the frame now if I needed to...I dont plan on Dragging it...Just wanna Blow away some Fords and Mopars at the redlight...whenever necessary..But it will be a daily driver...and I want to pass it onto my 2YR old Son.....I may never be finished with it.
If it's not a Chevy, its just a four letter word... you choose which one.
| | |
| |