The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TS3600, 55shaker), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,467
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
While Barret Jackson gets all the hype, there are two other auctions in the Phoenix area that have some stovebolts every now and then. I think there is a stovebolt at the Russo-Steele Auction in Scottsdale, but I only saw the back from the highway at about 65 mph. Possibly a 1937-1946 based on the back of the cab. I hope to drop by tomorrow and see.

Next to my office is the RMS auction at the Arizona Biltmore Hotel. I found a 1941 Suburban with a Campbell body. Claims to be one of 23 made and one of two existing. Expected to sell for $80 - $100k? Nice vehicle, but too rich for my blood - any takers?

Check out the pictures!

Jonathan

41 GMC Suburban


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
Now that is one COOL burb!!!! If I only had the money!!!


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
After all of the nightmares with my '92 Suburban pos I never really thought that I would like to see another. That '41 is one cool burb!


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
WOW so so nice!


The crew that works on the \'42 --Sara, Hannah and Abby
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Why didn't they level the front bumper when they were doing all that resto work? eek I wonder what else they let slide.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Sure is one beautiful truck...I just can't see a tune of 80-100k tho. If it were in a raffle, I think I'd have to throw down for about 50 tickets!


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
Would be interested to know what the production fiqures were on this one. I don't think they called it a Burb though. Still one sweeeeeet looking truck.


"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real"
"Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe"
41 1/2-ton, a work in progress
68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
The vehicle is still next door. I wonder if I can sneak open the hood and get a VIN off it before security tackles me.


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
Okay, according to the data sheet the VIN is GMC710041. I'm not as familiar with GMC VIN's. Does this make sense to anyone?


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 181
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 181
If it truely came from a Wickenburg Dude Ranch and was there in the early 60's, there is a good chance my grandpa drove it. He worked on one down there back then. Sure would be cool to have a truck like that for conversation.


1965 Chevy C-10 Longbed Stepside
In the Gallery
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
no doubt...i'd be all over it if i had any money


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Quote
I don't think they called it a Burb though.
No, it wouldn't have been called a suburban. I'm not sure what Campbell called them. They built these bodies on various brands of vehicles. That GMC710041 number could have been a Campbell number.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
they were called station wagons back then, even on a truck chassis, 'burbs were metal bodied - Campbell was the maker , and the car based wagons were Cantrell built

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Me wanty. Actually, I'd like to fabricate my own- an art deco cab, GMC 302 with a hydramatic, disc brakes, lots of wood and chrome. Maybe that will be my next project, my wife wants a woody. I'd make a good 10th anniversary present.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
Quote
Originally posted by 4ontheFloor:
.... Actually, .... my wife wants a woody. I'd make a good 10th anniversary present.
I'm sure it would make a nice gift ....you know they have Rx drugs for that now a days if you're having problems... grin


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
Woodys will always be cool!

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
Here is another site with a short history of Campbell-built bodies with some interesting pics.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/campbell_midstate/campbell_midstate.htm

Anyone interested in the history of wooden bodies on vehicles will be delighted with this site. About 1200 companies are profiled.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/


"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
Randy,

Thanks for the education on the bodies. I keeping learning so much from this site.

Jonathan


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0