| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
129
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,292 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | boy, that is a beauty - some interesting plumbing under the hood ... get an explanation of that!
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 184 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 184 | Beautiful restoration! I noticed 37-39 gauges in the cab. Is that typcial for the larger trucks? Just curious, trying to learn more all the time.
Great pictures as well. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 98 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 98 | Nice pics.There's a old man here in town tht has rebuilt an old fire truck that looks alot like this one.I'll have to try and get some pics of it sometime. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | Originally posted by red58: boy, that is a beauty - some interesting plumbing under the hood ... get an explanation of that!
Bill My best guess would be a heat exchanger. Maybe used to keep the pump from freezing up in the hard winter, and help cool the engine in the summer. But that is just a guess. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | oh man, that truck is balls to the wall.
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 | What a gorgeous piece of equipment!
I had also noticed the earlier instrument panel, and that set-up on the upper radiator hose. Very interesting!! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | Roy Rodgers you got it. Those heat exchanger are used mostly on trucks with front mount pumps. That is the first one I have seen on a midmount. The truck came from some where on the east coast probley colded than here. As far as the earlier instrument panel I don't know that is something you guys piked up that I know nothing about. Somebody school me on Art Deco trucks please. I would like to do a good write up for these guys. Ask as many questions as you can think of and I will make sure it gets in there. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 184 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 184 | Well as far as I know, the round gauges went out in the 39 model year. The 40 and the art deco trucks had a sweep speedometer. That is of course on the pickups, but a fire truck? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me might know what the whole story is.
It appears to me that everything past the fire wall is custom or at least after market along the lines of school buses etc. I believe that even modern fire trucks are built in this way.
Any thoughts on this? | | |
| |
| |