The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jon G, Hotrod Lincoln, rfs56trk, BC59, Robert Crandall, Gray_Ghost), 94 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,122
Posts1,056,331
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#224260 01/12/2007 6:11 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
My 54 3100 has an all metal bed floor with a smaller piece near the cab with four bolts and the bed has small square ridges like hills and dales. I can tell that this has been installed by the PO....what year did metal floor beds first appear? Thanks, Steve

#224261 01/12/2007 6:56 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
Sounds like the PO installed some diamond plate steel in it...I bought a new 67 Chev 10 series
and it had a steel floor..I am quite sure My 63 had
a wood floor in it... Bill B


1952 Chevy 3104 Shortbed 5-window
Remember; Politicians and diapers both need to be changed
often, and for the same reason.....
#224262 01/12/2007 6:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
I think in 67 was the first year for steel bed floor and it was most likely an option.


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
#224263 01/12/2007 7:14 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
67 was the first year for the steel floor, and the wood floor was still avail as a no-cost option

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#224264 01/12/2007 7:29 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
Yes, I got My 67 brand new and 2 days later
left for Saskatchewan,Can. I gave a bull moose a
ride in My new chevy, and it squatted pretty fair
all the way back to Michigan...Bill B


1952 Chevy 3104 Shortbed 5-window
Remember; Politicians and diapers both need to be changed
often, and for the same reason.....
#224265 01/12/2007 9:40 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 181
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 181
yep- 67 brought the steel floor with the body change. Have to say, I've seen more fleetsides that vintage with steel floors than wood. I have seen 73 and up stepsides that still had wood. Not sure if that was original or not though.


1965 Chevy C-10 Longbed Stepside
In the Gallery
#224266 01/13/2007 12:23 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
OK...I'll settle for 67 that was a good year...I'm going to put a sheet of smooth 1/8" steel over it and then to the spray on liner guy...should look cool...Steve

#224267 01/13/2007 4:21 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 96
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 96
It appears that GMC had metal floors much earlier.

Take a look at this link. Second entry from the bottom.

http://www.oldchevytrucks.biz/catalog4/00005.htm

#224268 01/13/2007 5:09 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
I'm don't think Chevy stepsides ever had steel floors. I bought an '80 stepside new and I don't remember the salesman asking if I wanted wood or steel. I just ordered the stepside and it came with the wood floor painted body color.

Bob

#224269 01/13/2007 6:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
I have a 72 Chevy Fleetside shortbed with wood floor.Have seen other 72s with steel floors.

#224270 01/13/2007 7:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 112
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 112
I have the bed off a 69 model with wood and have seen a 65 with what looked like a factory metal floor.

#224271 01/14/2007 1:19 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
+++++All stepsides thru 87 were wood. All wide beds were wood until 67. From 67 thru 72 you had a choice of wood or metal.88 and up are all metal. Joe

#224272 01/14/2007 6:24 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
I thnk GMC's are the exception. My 39 came with a metal bed floor.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0