| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,121 Posts1,056,328 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | My 54 3100 has an all metal bed floor with a smaller piece near the cab with four bolts and the bed has small square ridges like hills and dales. I can tell that this has been installed by the PO....what year did metal floor beds first appear? Thanks, Steve | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 | Sounds like the PO installed some diamond plate steel in it...I bought a new 67 Chev 10 series and it had a steel floor..I am quite sure My 63 had a wood floor in it... Bill B | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 | I think in 67 was the first year for steel bed floor and it was most likely an option.
38 original 48 panel 59 stepside 46 in the back forty
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | 67 was the first year for the steel floor, and the wood floor was still avail as a no-cost option
Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 | Yes, I got My 67 brand new and 2 days later left for Saskatchewan,Can. I gave a bull moose a ride in My new chevy, and it squatted pretty fair all the way back to Michigan...Bill B | | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 181 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 181 | yep- 67 brought the steel floor with the body change. Have to say, I've seen more fleetsides that vintage with steel floors than wood. I have seen 73 and up stepsides that still had wood. Not sure if that was original or not though. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | OK...I'll settle for 67 that was a good year...I'm going to put a sheet of smooth 1/8" steel over it and then to the spray on liner guy...should look cool...Steve | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 428 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 428 | I'm don't think Chevy stepsides ever had steel floors. I bought an '80 stepside new and I don't remember the salesman asking if I wanted wood or steel. I just ordered the stepside and it came with the wood floor painted body color.
Bob | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | I have a 72 Chevy Fleetside shortbed with wood floor.Have seen other 72s with steel floors. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 112 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 112 | I have the bed off a 69 model with wood and have seen a 65 with what looked like a factory metal floor. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 6 | +++++All stepsides thru 87 were wood. All wide beds were wood until 67. From 67 thru 72 you had a choice of wood or metal.88 and up are all metal. Joe | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 232 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 232 | I thnk GMC's are the exception. My 39 came with a metal bed floor. | | |
| |
| |