The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (pdlightning, ndkid275), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#222279 12/20/2006 3:04 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
I have a '54 ... the tail light lenses are plastic ... granted, they are only $5 each to replace, but the last pair I purchased are fading to clear in the center after less than 2 years.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I noticed the '49 - '53 lenses come in glass or plastic, but the '54 only seems to come in plastic. Does anyone know of a source for glass?

Aftermarket products are a disgrace.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
#222280 12/20/2006 5:09 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
It may be caused by tail and stop lights being of a much higher wattage than the original bulbs as much as by inferior materials. I wonder if you would have the same problem with LED replacements?

#222281 12/20/2006 3:10 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Thanks, Baldy

I saw these: LED\'s ... I think they are just a tad on the "ugly" side, but I am thinking about it.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
#222282 12/20/2006 5:58 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
I was thinking more along the lines of LED clusters as a replacement for the bulbs so you could retain the original type lenses, maybe someone has a site for for them.

#222283 12/20/2006 7:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
A friend of mine had the same thing happen and I cant remember the details, but basically he soaked them in some type of red dye that really soaked into the plastic and they lasted YEARS longer without fading. That being said ???


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
#222284 12/20/2006 8:19 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
Alan, it may also be caused by stopping too much. Try rolling through some of those stop signs, and the problem will be much less significant. grin

#222285 12/20/2006 8:43 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Baldy - LED cluster replacements would be the best way to go!

rustednuts - (now there's a username that actually HURTS to ponder!) Find out what kind of dye he used, will ya? I'm gonna treat my new lenses with GIBBS and see how that works.

tlorber - Since I have a 350sbc with headers and a mild cam, I think I'll ROAR through all stops from now on. LOL!


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
#222286 12/21/2006 2:41 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Alan; you won't find glass replacements, '54 was the first year for the plastic lenses. I would suggest leds, though. Check out Technostalgia. They make a panel type replacement led that replaces the bulb. They work much better than the type that simply replaces the bulb itsef, like the ones that the tuner cars. Here's what they look like. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2368955000092261295qrmCdN http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2739260370092261295Qaohye http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2752257200092261295eZVJHY


Bill Burmeister
#222287 12/21/2006 4:59 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Thanks, Bill -- I'll check it out ... I think the LED's I linked to above (5 posts up), look much better.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
#222288 12/21/2006 5:25 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Its been a long time since I talked to him, been about a year since I seen him so I dont think I can be of much help. Sorry.

Maybe you can do a little bit of testing on some scrap clear plastics and see what soaks in alright??? Good luck, Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
#222289 12/21/2006 4:16 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Are the 54 truck lenses the same as the car lenses? The car lenses had an inner insert between the bulb and outer lens. A couple of buddies of mine started repoping the insert because nobody was making them. If they're the same & an insert would help let me know & I'll post their website.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#222290 12/21/2006 4:19 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Thanks, Tiny

They aren't the same but it might be interesting to see what your buddies did.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
#222291 12/21/2006 5:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
Alan, think you can add blue dots to those LED's???


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


#222292 12/21/2006 5:43 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
I had blue dots ... but I got pulled over by the PO'leece!

In Jersey, it's illegal to have any blue lights on a vehicle ... blue it reserved for law enforcement vehicles only.

It's awfully silly, if you ask me, to get so uptight about tiny little 3/4" blue dots on the back of a 1954 Chevy pickup! But, nonetheless, I had to replace them or they would surely kill all my family members!


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
#222293 12/21/2006 6:00 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
AMEN to the aftermarket products being a disgrace!!!

#222294 12/21/2006 9:04 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Wow.

I just got my new lenses and put them on ... I had no idea, really, how much the old ones (if you can call 1.5 - 2 years "old") actually faded!

When I got back in the house, I looked closer at them and the red color is just gone out of the plastic! Oh well.

The new ones look great!


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
#222295 12/21/2006 11:03 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Shoot Alan, I knew they weren't the same (as the fat kid slaps his forehead Homer Simpson style). This is their site. Maybe they can help you find what you need.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#222296 12/22/2006 1:23 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Hey! That's a really cool site, Tiny!

Thanks!!!


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
#222297 12/22/2006 1:36 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You can't add blue dots to the lenses that have the integrated leds, everything is sealed on them. The type that I used uses a standard lense, only the bulb is replaced. A bluedot can be put in, but it will not work as the leds are red in illumination, not white. Leds require being the same illumination color as the lense for best operation. I modified mine with a blue led license plate bolt behind the dot to make it work.


Bill Burmeister
#222298 12/22/2006 5:07 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Has anyone seen these?
[b]Red LED Replacements for 1157 Bulbs[/b]

I'm wondering how they'd look behind the plastic lenses ...

PS -- I just found these, too:
[b]LED Replacement Lenses Plug Into 1157 Socket[/b]


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
#222299 12/22/2006 6:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
Alan,

That is what I thought you were looking for, glad you found them.

#222300 12/22/2006 4:15 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
I ordered the LED Replacement Lenses (linked in my PS above) ... I should have them next week.

Merry Christmas!


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0