| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,671 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | I've looked through several search results and can't find an answer to my question... can I put a '67-'72 automatic steering column in my '65 C-10 without too much trouble?
Thanks.
Lee | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | It is a pretty easy swap. Toughest part is re-wiring the signals, but color for color usually works. Most have hazard lights, this wire needs 12v thru a separate flasher in order for the hazards to work(brown wire IIRC). Brian | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 112 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 112 | I have done this swap on my 64. I put a 71 column in it. The wiring was not color for color. I made a strap to fasten it under the dash, (easy). Drill out the plastic pins that hold the 2 peices of the column together, the part that allows the column to colapse in a collision. You may have to change the end where the rag joint fits. You will probably have to fashion shift linkage. I used the rod from a 70s el camino jack. It is pretty srraight foward,just take your time and do a little shade tree engineering. But remember, that is your only contact with the road! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | I don't know how to do it, but this is what it looks like: http://matraca.home.mindspring.com/img03112006/12.html I've been told by '67-'72 chevy truck guys that the column there is a '71... and '71 parts fit it, so I guess it is. There are other pictures on my site of the interior if you want more shots. -W | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | Woogeroo:
The steering column looks great. Those are some high tech underdash speaker mounts.
Tony | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | Originally posted by 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks: Woogeroo:
The steering column looks great. Those are some high tech underdash speaker mounts.
Tony I had to pay extra for those custom speaker mounts. When I bought the truck, the speakers were just stuck under the dash with the speaker magnets holding them to the metal body. I found this out one day rolling over a rail road track. 'aaaah, what's on my foot!?' 'what in the... ?' -W | | |
| |
| |