Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,348 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | In about a week I've got to haul a 3100 frame(not a roller) home some 300+ miles from Roanoke,VA. Any suggestions on a good way to do this. I'd really like to do it in a rental pick up truck but the 6 feet left over from the 8 ft. bed hanging out is a concern.I've thought of renting a box truck or a car trailer too. Anybody ever carry a frame in a pickup safely?As you can tell I'm trying to do this on the cheap.And the hauling board hasn't been helpful so far.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 595 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 595 | renting a trailer sounds like a safe plan.hire someone you know with a flatbead truck that way you have help to load and unload the frame. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | The frame wouldn't fit inside the pickup bed...it would have to sit on top of it. Unless you could remove the two front running board brackets from the frame, the front of the frame may fit inside the bed because the 3100 frame is tapered to the front. If you were able to do this you would only have about 4 feet or less hanging out the back with the tailgate down. If the truck has a trailer hitch receiver, you could get one of those long load support things made out of 2" tubing that goes into the receiver to help support it if you need to. Know what I'm talking about? I think it's definitely possible, though it would certainly be easier to rent a box truck. Just make sure it's safe and secure before you hit the highway. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I've hauled bare frames on a trailer. A truck with at least a 12 foot bed might be a good answer.
Or maybe a pickup with an over head rack designed for carrying heavy loads over the cab? Getting it that high might be a challenge.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 351 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2004 Posts: 351 | DrewP, I've hauled my frame down to the sandblaster in my shortbed (6ft.) Toyota. You can use ropes in such a way as to partially suspend the frame in the bed. If you give me you email address, i'll send a few pics.  | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Ghostrider,That's a resonable idea.Yes, I know about the bed extenders.Never thought of that.Thanks everyone.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | I've hauled a stripped pickup frame on a lumber rack on a 8'bed no problem. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Does your car have a roof rack? I have had a Dana 60 rear axle with drums on my VW roof rack. A 1/2 ton frame should weigh about the same. And if you had a car with the roof racks spread out a good bit, like a station wagon or a suburban it should be sturdy enough. Don't rent something if you don't need to. Even if your car had a trailer hitch and a roof rack you could make a simple prop to go up from the hitch and support the rear end of the frame? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 113 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 113 | Wow!
I don't envy you the task you've set for yourself!
Over the years my brothers and myself have towed, pushed, or dragged dozens (probably hundreds) of vehicles. Almost all were short haul (under 30 miles). I've chained 'em, used towbars and car dolly's, and finally bought a used 18' dual axle trailer. It was in need of repair - the decking was shot, the wiring was ripped to shreds, and the tires were iffy, but over the last couple of seasons I've put it back into serviceable condition. I welded on a new receiver, replaced the spotting wheel, added a cable hoist (from a boat trailer) and covered the front deck with Diamond Plate so that I had a safe place to step.
There is NO WAY I would undertake moving a vehicle more that a few miles without having it on a trailer! Especially this time of year.
Good luck and let us know how you fared!
Everything is different now...
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 87 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 87 | I vote for the car trailer. If you have a car capeable of towing the trailer, I would rent it before a box truck. The box truck would work fine, but will probably be way more expensive, especially considering the gas cost.
If you lived a little closer to God's country, I would let you borrow mine.
Toxictiki
'59 Apache 3100 panel (235) '51 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe (216) '48 Binder KB-1 (flathead 6) '77 Cadillac DeVille (425 donor)
"Once I was 'Chairman of the Bored' then I bought a Stovebolt."
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 | You can haul it in a pickup easily. Put a blanket, several layers, on the back of the cab, then put the frame in the bed with one end at the bottom of the tailgate and the other on the blanket on the cab. Tie it down real good and go home with it securely placed and you will not have a problem. I have done similar things many times, as a carpenter I have hauled 20' lumber this way. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | If you have a reciever hitch, weld a bracket up to hold up the frame as it hangs out the back of the pickup. Use a long bed pickup. Tie red flags from Menards to the end of the frame protruding.
You could put 2x6 boards across the width of the bed and screww 2x4's the length of the bedsides (underneath the 2x6's) to keep them from sliding sideways.
Put the frame on top of the boards and tie it down to the bed. Make sure you support it so it can't slide forward into the cab if you need to hit the brakes. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 26 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 26 | Put it on a trailer...hauling lumber and hauling a heavy metal frame are two different things. The trailer is low, managable, and will save whatever truck from the punishment of having a frame in its bed. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | Harbor freight sells truck bed extenders.See the link,if not heavy enough,you could beef one up. truck bed extender 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | Oh come on mfrazier01. Its a pickup made to haul loads. Punish the truck? If the truck can't handle a bare frame it's just a grocery hauler. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 26 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 26 | Haul loads, I agree. Hauling material that spans the length of a truck is best suited for a flatbed trailer. I just believe in using a tool properly. Saves everyone the headache in the end.
We have to remember that this fella is going 300+ miles with this thing. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | If that's punishing the truck, I should probably be arrested for what I've done over the years! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 22 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 22 | you will have to keep the heavest part of the frame towards the front of the bed. put eye hooks in the floor of the bed and pull it down with some good ratchet straps. i use four two on the front and two on the back. put a red flag or light on the tail.
i had a '94 lightning frame in the back of my 6' chevy with the tail gate down for a 100 mile ride.
'57 Big Window 3100 '53 Five Window 3100
| | |
| |