The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (CuzzFuzz, 39Master85, Ponchogl, WICruiser, Otto Skorzeny), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,345
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#220386 11/25/2006 10:33 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
Hi guys,

My 41 gets hot sitting in traffic on 80 plus degree days. I've cleaned the block, checked the thermostat ( 160 ), drilled a 1/8 hole in the stat collar,had the radiator cleaned and rodded out,new fan belt, upped the idle speed a wee bit, timing and valve clearances, fuel mix ok, hasnt made any difference. Just wondering if a larger pulley would help. The one on the pump at the moment is about 4 inches. Also thinking about a electric pusher fan. I'd be grateful for any comments.

Cheers guys

Bob

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
Maybe try a fan with more pitch that will pull more air and see if that helps. If the truck runs hot at idle, and then cools down right away when you get moving, I'll bet more pitch helps. If you have room, you could try an aftermarket aluminum flex fan or something similar temporarily to test this theory out.


To be long remembered as he's cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
A larger pulley will make it turn slower. I agree with Barry, more pitch on the fan might do it.
Good luck with it.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
Thanks Barry and Rob. There isn't a lot of room between the fan and the radiator but I'll have a look around and try another blade. It takes a mile or two to drop back to normal once it gerts moving.

All the best

Bob

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
Any idea how to repitch a blade? I have the same problem with mine here in North Centeral Texas.I must point out that I have an AC on my truck and I know the additional blockage with the condencer doesn't help also. "Tie me kangeroo down sport".Nice to here from down under.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
mozzie,

It sounds like the combination of engine age/wear/friction/heat combined with a old cooling system won't get the job done when the ambient temperature climbs and the traffic slows.

Although your radiator has been boiled, I will bet it isn't cooling anywhere near new. Would a re-core be an option...maybe another row of tubes. I'll bet this was solve the 'hot day blues'.

Stuart

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
Hey Beaver, thanks mate, kangaroos are a bit hard to tie down though (ha ha )

Stuart, radiator was stripped cleaned and rodded through. The rad shop reckons it was in pretty good shape.Its a three row, modern core. Engine has about 20,000 miles since rebuild. I just thought that a bigger pulley might slow the circulation speed down a bit and help with cooling.

As always, thanks guys.

Bob

#220393 11/26/2006 11:29 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Hey Bob, I didn't think there was, any traffic in western Australia??
I have been kicking the idea around, about bending up or adapting a shroud, there is a lot of loss at the tips of the blade. I'm assuming your savvy enough to be running modern day glycol antifreeze and not just water or alcohol!
Denny Graham
Western Sandwich, IL, USA


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
#220394 11/26/2006 12:58 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
If the motor has just been rebuilt is their any chance that you ended up with a later model harmonic balancer. The later 235 balancer is bigger and would turn the water pump faster.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 22
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 22
you can get great metal cooling fans, not the aluminum flex fans from vintage air. look for them at vintageair.com. i've used them on my street rods for years. they are a bit noisey.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
Thanks again guys,

Denny......there are a few cars out here, does get pretty hot as well this time of year. Yep running ainti freeze and made up a shroud to see if it would help.

ttodd......I'll have to check up on the balancer. What diameter was the original?

lms.....I'll have a look at the vintage air site. Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Bob

#220397 11/27/2006 12:23 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
i had the same problem on my 47 fleetmaster with a 350. i put a electric fan in front of the radiator in addition to the stock fan i can sit idle on the hotest day in ca and it wont over heat. it sure made me happy cruisin paso when you see a merc built with unlimited funds overheat and you cruise by them.


1949 SUBURBAN
In the Gallery
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
Mozzie:

Late ignition timing will also make it run a little hotter. Also are you sure the thermostat is not in backwards?


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
John...thinking about a fan in front with an on/off switch in the dash so I would only have it on when needed.

Kip...timing is fine mate and I double checked the thermostat in case it flipped when I installed it.

Cheers folks

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
Mozzie

Yet another idea. What is the altitude where you are. Assuming you may not be running a pressure cap at higher altitudes water boils at lower temperatures. Check here. http://www.biggreenegg.com/boilingPoint.htm

This is also a good chart for pressure systems http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-point-water-d_926.html


Of course this all changes with any kind of antifreeze mixture


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0