The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 69 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#211539 07/10/2006 10:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
My 1950 1300 has the gas tank in the cab. I have to keep the tank topped up until I fix the gas gage. When I leave the truck out in the sun on a hot day I see gas dribbling out the filler cap at an alarming rate.I figure this is due to the gasoline expanding.Aside from the cost of gas I worry about a fire. Should I invest in a new cap ? It looks like the original one to me.Or does any one think it's something else ? Thanks for any help . Jeff

#211540 07/10/2006 11:34 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
you should not fill it so full, park so the filler is on the high side, stay outta the sun, quit smoking, and get the gauge fixed grin

my 58 does that in the summer if I overfill it

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#211541 07/10/2006 11:57 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
Thanks Uncle Bill... sounds like the advice I got from my better half this morning.
Jeff

#211542 07/11/2006 4:18 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The new cap will do the same if you get the correct, vented, cap. If you use an unvented one your fuel pump will quit pumping every few miles and you'll have to get out and let some air into your tank to get going again.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#211543 07/11/2006 5:43 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
Quote
Originally posted by red58:

my 58 does that in the summer if I overfill it
Me too. smile


Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."
#211544 07/11/2006 6:24 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
Thanks guys, now that you mention it the truck was always parked on a wee bit of a slope when this occured . I won't buy an unvented cap.I'll just get the darn gage fixed !
Jeff

#211545 07/11/2006 11:16 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Mine too. I blame the new "Do not top off" nozzles. They aren't AD friendly. I listen and click it off when I hear it nearing full.

#211546 07/11/2006 1:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
I have experienced that same problem with all three 1966 trucks that I have owned in the past 21 years.

#211547 07/11/2006 2:02 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
Cool, How about carring a 1 gallon gas can (So you will have extra fuel) and don't fill it so full till you get the fuel gauge fixed.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"
#211548 07/11/2006 8:41 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
Thanks TYOVO,
Probably a good idea , and every one else thanks too. jeff

#211549 07/11/2006 9:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
Mine does that too. Just park with the gas cap on the uphill side of the truck.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0