The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#210946 07/01/2006 3:58 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 111
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 111
I was just reading on a post about old Holmes wreckers and remembered I just saw an old 53 Chevy wrecker sitting in the edge of someones back yard. It looked like a small pickup type it wasn't a big bodied truck. It looked good from a distance and I think I could get it for a song(unless he has heard me sing before). Does anyone know if they have any value whether in restored condition or untouched? slowgoer


54 Chevy 5 window - 46 Chevy 1/2 ton
#210947 07/01/2006 8:04 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
They have value for sure.
like anything it first depends on the condition.

Don't expect it to sell for anything near what a same condition 1/2 ton would sell for. Unless it is a pile of rust, then junk is junk, and junk is cheap.

As far as the big bolts go, the wrecker body, if any good, should bring the value just over that of the same truck with a flat bed.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#210948 07/01/2006 11:55 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 181
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 181
I have a picture somewhere of a AD wrecker. It was owned by a local towing company and used as thier parade and special event truck. A sweet looking billboard.


1965 Chevy C-10 Longbed Stepside
In the Gallery
#210949 07/02/2006 5:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 111
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 111
I don't know what kind of wrecker body it is whether Holmes or something else but I wonder if parts are still avilable for them??


54 Chevy 5 window - 46 Chevy 1/2 ton
#210950 07/02/2006 7:58 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Did someone say Holmes Wreckers. I didn't know there was any other kind. Check out my Holmes Wreckers here, http://community.webshots.com/album/116208177WBeZZP


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#210951 07/03/2006 6:26 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
I have seen 2 in my small texas town, both restored and 1 working as a tow truck. One is a 53 1 ton, the other is a 41 ish and is still in service. both are clean.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"
#210952 07/04/2006 12:20 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 112
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 112
can i buy one of those spanky ? lmk

#210953 07/04/2006 2:52 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
I guess, I'll hold on to them right now no3. Toyvo, see if ya can get us some pictures, of those 'ol Wreckers.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#210954 07/04/2006 3:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
One of my first recollections about driving was learning the shift pattern on a 48 Chevy COE with a Holmes 550 (if I remember correctly) on it that my grandfather used at his dealership (F*rd, that is - he used whatever used truck that was available). It was one of the first vehicles I ever drove (I wasn't quite 12 at the time :rolleyes: ) along with a 41 Chevy P/U, a 41 Chevy 1.5 ton, a F*rd 8N tractor, and a couple of John Deere bulldozers. It was fun having an uncle that had a farm. grin Great memories.

Hmmmm, maybe I should convert my 1 ton to a wrecker! cool


Jim Blake
Help support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (www.lls.org) through Team in Training (www.teamintraining.org). Help put a stop to ALL cancers.

My truck: '49 3800 Stakebed/Dump
#210955 07/04/2006 3:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Would have had to be a Holmes 515. Could have possibly been a Holmes 525, if it had been put on the truck, after 1950.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#210956 07/04/2006 3:59 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Back in the 40's, & 50's, you would see Holmes Light Duty 460's, & 490's, on the '47-'54 4100 series trucks, Holmes 515, & 525 Medium Duty Wreckers, on the 4400, & 6400 trucks, & sometimes Dealerships, that did alot of Big Truck Sales, & Service would order Heavy Duty Holmes W35, & Holmes W45 units, on their 6400, & up trucks. You saw alot of W35's, & W45's, installed on the Heavier GMC Trucks also.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#210957 07/06/2006 11:55 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
I guess I remembered the Holmes series number wrong. Oh well, it's been 30+ years! It could have come from any wrecker up through about '68 when I first remember getting in the truck. Not too long after I drove the COE, the wrecker setup as moved to a '63 F*rd F-700 (which I had some good times with, too!!) and the COE went away (I don't remember where - probably the junk yard). Anyway, this talk of old wreckers brought back some good memories. Thanks.


Jim Blake
Help support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (www.lls.org) through Team in Training (www.teamintraining.org). Help put a stop to ALL cancers.

My truck: '49 3800 Stakebed/Dump
#210958 07/07/2006 4:54 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I found a tow bed so old it's hand powered;there's a big ol' flywheel and crank on one side of it. The bed used to be installed on a '36 Ford truck,but it eventually disappeared and a dump bed was installed on the truck.That was probably 20 years ago,and I recently discovered the tow bed again. I'm trying to find out who owns it now;I could use it.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0