The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 46 Texaco, 2 invisible), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,633
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 45
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 45
OK guys- you convinced me. A stovebolt can pull a boat and trailer very well. Now, anybody got an idea of who sells an aftermarket trailer hitch that will fit a '54 stovebolt. I'm complicated by the fact that I carry my spere tire under the bed. Any idea's?

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
Try a Reese Hitch # 88001 from Auto Zone. I found the info on the internet and haven't checked it out yet. I think it is a class 3 hitch.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
A machine shop or sheet metal shop can fabricate one for you if you can't find one to fit. I got a 2" receiver tube and had my dad (retired sheet metal worker) build one for my '55.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
I have one behind my garage off my 62, about 32 inches wide with a two inch receiver that I have been trying to give away but would cost too much to ship you.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
What I'm planning on doing is measuring the width of the frame where I plan to mount it (hopefully using the bumper mount bolts), the distance to the bumper and the height of the bumper relative to the mount points. Then I'll draw a diagram with measurements.

Then I'll go to a junk yard and start looking under the trucks, SUVs and vans 'cause lots of them that have nice trailer hitches that are mostly hidden behind the bumper that could work for you, depending on how you plan on mounting it. When you take the hitch, make sure and get the plug and wires for the trailer lights/brakes.

Even if you don't pick up your trailer hitch from the junk yard, it'll be worth your while to have a look at severl different designs either at the junk yard or in the parking lot and traffic before you make a decision on the design.

Personally, I like the ones where most of the hitch is hidden and only the 2" square receiver and brakelight plug are visible.

As far as what size/class hitch you need, that depends on the weight of what you plan on towing and the tounge weight. Try googling 'trailer hitch class.' Sounds to me like you'll need a class III or IV.

If you can't find just the hitch you want over the counter or under a wreck, a trailer place nearby whereever you are can make a custom hitch to your specs pretty easily. For example, U-Haul makes custom hitches as do others.

I suppose another option, if you have a 55 + is reinforce the bumper and put the ball in the license plate cutout/dip/indentation in the bumper.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
This on a 3104
there is a 2'' receiver tube and a 2'' insert tube, one fits inside the other.
I made mine from 2'' box (insert - trailer material). I used two 1/4'' plates 3''x 8'' frame mounts to the inside of the stock frame right at the very end of the stock frame channels. Drilled two 1/2'' holes in each of the 3x8 plates, as the bumpers bolts fit and hold the plates to the truck. Welded two nuts to the front 1/2'' bolt bumper holes on the 3x8'' plate. Cut and welded a 2'' insert tube that fits across (fits between the two 3x8 plates and goes straight across, side to side), so the nuts are now (hidden) inside the tube ends & welded to the 3x8'' plates. The other two 1/2'' 3x8 plate holes are exposed & bolted thru the frame. Two 2'' insert tubes were cut to make a V shape from almost the frame 3x6'' plate, 2'' tube V 'ed down to the 2'' receiver hitch tube (about 8-10'' long) - centered. The 2'' receiver hitch fits just below the stock 3100 bumper so only the receiver square is visible. Another 1/4''thick 6x10'' plate is welded to the bottom of the 2'' receiver tube hitch as well as the two V tubes, thus creating a very stout welded connection. The 6x10 plate has two 3/4'' holes for the safety chain attachment..
Don't forget to pre-drill your receiver hitch pin hole before welding that tube. grin grin
oh yeah class of hitch . . . . low

this puppy ain't going to break.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
mine is a Draw-Tite.. 5K capacity without weight distribution bars...


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0