The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, HandyAndy, Ponchogl, carbking), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#204133 03/20/2006 11:51 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 33
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 33
anyone found a source besides coker tire for widewhite wall radial tires?

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
Yes; I like www.widewhitewalltires.com I buy all my classic tires there.


Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
57 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
there has been a discussion on the H.A.M.B. regarding taking stock "narrow" white walls and sanding off the black surrounding them to widen the white. basically, you just take a d/a sander to them an remove A 1/16' of black rubber from the outside of the sidewall. Take your time, and practice on a junk tire 1st.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
Hey Jerry,
How many have you bought there? Is shipping kind of high?

Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I bought some Diamond Back Classic Radials and have been very pleased with them. They look more like the older style high profile tire while still offering the modern day radial construction. And, their sidewalls are bright white and they stay white. cool

Prior to the Diamond Back Classic Radials, I had a set of Cokers on my truck. The profile of the tire was much lower than the Diamond Back Classic Radials. As hard as I tried, I never could get them to stay bright white. :confused:

I like wide whitewall tires, not wide beigewall tires. grin

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I love the way wide whites look on pre 47 Chevy trucks.. but the 'beigewall' syndrome is what keeps me from pulling the trigger on a set.

The most recent copy of Hemmings Classic Car I picked up has an ad for an outfit called Lucas Automotive that claims they have 'the best vintage tire deals since 1957'. 1-800-735-0166 and wide white radials appears to be their thing. It's a full page ad, but no website address.. but they say you can call and request a free catalog or quote.

They also appear to sell trade-in's & warehouse clearouts.. and they sell Goodyear Radial wide whites, which they claim are the only wide white made in the U.S.A.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 29
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 29


fifty-one half-ton
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 147
R
RT1 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 147
Quote
Originally posted by wynns55:
anyone found a source besides coker tire for widewhite wall radial tires?
I would avoid Coker, my buddy has had nothing but problems from them. They do not stand by there product very well. At least in his case, he only had around 1k miles on a set and 2 of them developed huge ply seperations. They would not do anything for him..... Again this is just one case...

-RT1
**

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Hope the Lucas brand is not from the same British electrical company!


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
And the reason Brits drink warm beer!

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 179
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 179
I have Coker 4" Wide Whitewalls....bias ply.

To keep the whitewalls clean, I scrub them with a damp S.O.S. pad then rinse with water.

They are as white as the day I got them...never been a beigewall!

Greg


When I go cruisin' in the old truck....women smile, men weep and dogs beg for rides.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 33
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 33
Thanks for all your input. I just installed CCP 6 lug disc conversion on my wifes 50 chevy and the stock wheels would not fit. (which I knew,didn't tell her)haha. So we had to order full moon chrome wheels from our local Les Schwab tire and he happened to have ordered a set of Coker tires that were never picked up and had been stored for two years. He discounted tires to me just to releive his inventory,probably won't ride as nice as radial tires but a heck of a lot cheaper!


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0