The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shade Baby, Steelonsteel, Guitplayer, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,401
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200502 02/07/2006 10:21 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
I am getting a garage built in my back yard to house the truck. It will also be a workshop and of course a light mechanic's workspace. I do not weld but have friends who do. Do I need 220 in the garage for welding? I have heard that sheet metal can be welded (MIG) at 115 volts. I want the layout / design and features to accomodate my needs. Thanks for input. BW

#200503 02/07/2006 10:31 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
Go ahead and run 220 into the garage. You may find that you want to put a larger Air Compressor in, or even an A/C. The 220V will come in handy, even if you stick to a 110 welder.

#200504 02/07/2006 10:42 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
Run 220 to a couple of different spots- The better compressors and welders are 220 and don't necessarily cost any more than 110 units. The 220 outlets should have utility/appliance plugs, not dryer plugs. They should probably have at least 40 amps breakers each.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
#200505 02/07/2006 11:03 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
I second that, run as much power as you think you'll ever need - and then double it. You can never have too much POWER!


Jim Blake
Help support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (www.lls.org) through Team in Training (www.teamintraining.org). Help put a stop to ALL cancers.

My truck: '49 3800 Stakebed/Dump
#200506 02/08/2006 12:35 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 267
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 267
DITTO THE 240(220)!it does not cost that much more NOW!!!!!!!!


I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
#200507 02/08/2006 12:40 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Trust me, it will cost more later when you need it. do it now.

Would someone explain why the old appliance type plug won't work? Had them in my shop for years.

#200508 02/08/2006 12:43 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
Illuminating advice here! 220 for sure!!Like Tim Taylor from Tool Time says,"MORE POWER!"


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 199
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 199
I regret that I didnt have 220v ran to the barn. I would like to have a bigger compressor, maybe a twin head Ingersoll 15/20 horses. I can do it with 110v but the amp draw over 110v lines would cause my electric cost to sky rocket.
So I say overkill your present needs to enable future growth in your tool line.
Hobert


"The Lord is my shepherd"
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
220V, hell, yeah! When my shop was built. I ran several 220 circuits; one for the water heater, another right off the breaker box for convenience, a third for a compressor in the back of the shop, and a fourth for a welder. Plus, I have a 50 amp 110V RV outlet inside the shop, for when we were living in a fifth wheel while our house was being built.


Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass.
Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
More Power!! AR AR AR AR!!

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
220 for sure!

I run my table saw, welders, air compressor, and anything else I can on 220.

The cost to run the service will be about the same anyway.

I just wish I had 3 phase!


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
smile grin LUCKY YOU eek cool
run the 220vac
make sure the wire is of the proper gauge to carry a large load
Place 1 or 2 110v and maybe a 220v outlets by the front door so power tools and welding, grinding, etc. can be done in the driveway ... air also.
Oh yeah for charging those 6 volt truck batteries too. :rolleyes:


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
Generally, if you have a normal 110v going to a breaker panel, you already have 220 capability. In a normal install (althought it is called single phase), you have three wires, two hot and one neutral. this is actually two phase. If you look inside the breaker panel, you'll see two rows of hot lugs (black wire) and one row of lugs (neutral- white wire). This is so you can balance your 110 load across phases. To get 220v, you just tap across the two "hots." So if they come in with 3 wire power, you have 220 capability, you can add 220v circuits now or later. If they only come in with two wires, beware, that usually is bad sign.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Definately 220, man.. Which is really what outta be feeding your panel in the garage (two 110 lines and one neutral).

Depending on how you're finishing the interior walls of the garage, and the size, you don't even really need to run the individual 220 lines.. but you'll want a breaker box that has the capability in the future, for sure.

My PERSONAL favorite way to run power in a garage, especially in a multi-purpose workshop, is thru the ceiling with drop down cords.. that way you don't have a bunch of extention cords in the floor to trip on or roll over with cart or vehicle wheels.

Obviously, if you're going to have a deticated equipment room for things like hot water tank, air compressor, etc you'll probably wanna pre-wire for required outlets, and put in a few extra for future expansion.. but it won't ever hurt you to be able to drop a 110 or 220 line out o the ceiling if you ever find ourself needing power in the middle of an open area.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
Looks like the vote was unanimous, so 220 goes in. Thanks for all the input. BW


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0