The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200307 02/06/2006 7:19 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
Hi,
I drive my '49 5 window on weekends and only short distances. I would like to drive it more but am a bit nervous about my brakes. They are standard drum brakes. The previous owner had replaced the cylinders about 2 or 3 years ago. I recently adjusted the brakes all around because the pedal was so low. It's not squishy at all just low. It helped a little, but it's still lower than I would like. Funny thing is that as the truck is driven and the engine is at proper running temperature, I get a bit more pedal. If I stomp on the brakes I can lock them up no problem. What am I doing wrong? Is there an adjustment directly at the pedal? Any input here would be greatly appreciated.
Aloha,
Rich

#200308 02/06/2006 8:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
There are 2 adjustments on each wheel. They turn the opposite direction. The caps on the ends of the wheel cylinders turn & all have right hand threads. Draw them up til you get a heavy drag & back it up 2-3 notches. There is an adjustment on the master cylinder. It should have about 1/8 to 1/4 free play till it starts pushing in on the master cylinder. When these brakes are right the pedal should not go down hardly at all. You just apply pressure to it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#200309 02/07/2006 3:18 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Adjust the pedal rod after you drive it a fair distance. The master being under the floor with the heat makes everything expand a bit and you need to keep the pedal loose enough not to apply pressure after warm-up,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#200310 02/10/2006 7:31 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
Well I got under the truck and adjusted the push rod. I didn't wait to do it after driving it for a while, but it was a pretty low pedal. I also topped off the fluid which was actually pretty low. It gives me lots of pedal now, and if I find that it's too high after it heats, I will make the adjustment.
Thanks for your help guys. It's good to know that I can always count on my fellow Stovebolters for help.
Aloha,
Rich


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0