The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (RoadsScholar, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 197 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19686 07/22/2004 7:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
Just a status update on the carb that I installed on my 292 in my 64 C10. It's a Carter 625 AFB 4-barrel on an Offy manifold with Hedman Hedders:

[img]http://www.chevyasylum.com/64c10/64c10_314r8.jpg[/img]

I was slightly concerned that it might havre some driveability problems and maybe a loss of low-end power. I was wrong. It's runnin better than it ever has.

The AFB is a vast improvement over the Monojet and it has plenty of power. I took a load of stuff to the dumps this morning and had an opportunity to test it under load at low, mid and high rpm situations. Smooth as silk.

I live at the bottom of a hill...and to leave the area where I live, I have to climb that hill...with the Monojet and a cold motor, I'd have to leave the truck in 2nd gear and run up the hill very slowly. If I tried to shift to 3rd halfway up, it would spit and sputter and I'd end up shifting back down to 2nd.

Now, with the Carter and the headers, I can shift into 3rd halfway up the hill and it doesn't even notice that it's climbing a hill...even fully loaded with junk for the dumps.

I think this is a very viable modification for a 292...and maybe a 250 (might wanna run a 500 CFM), since most of the time it's only running on the primaries. Ohhh....when the secondaries open, it REALLY wakes the motor up. I may be doin a rebuild sooner than I planned, cuz it seems to like to rev very freely.

I said that I'd admit it if the AFB didn't work...well, it turns out that it's worked better than I ever expected.

#19687 07/23/2004 4:56 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
That is good to hear. We might have to do that to a hot 261.
[img]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/images/smilies/burnout.gif[/img]


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#19688 07/23/2004 8:34 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
That extra pep and response is nice huh! I basically got the same setup with GM HEI. "Truckedup" hooked me up with a Holley 450 cfm w/ vac. sec. I like it. I like it a lot!
I was just offered an 8 lug Dana with approx. 3.55 gear (may be a bit high but, at least I can buy gears that don't cost $468!) from a '68 Chevy truck. Yeehaw! Get me to that freeway!


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
#19689 07/24/2004 4:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Asylum, Looks good, clean setup, power sounds awesome. How are you going to heat the intake?
Mugsy, What did that Dana come of I need one? Like to hear what you have to do to get it in.
Larry
68 C20 327 daily driver
63 C20 292 Camper truck
65 C10 ? Custom Cab AC,PB,PS,$flasher - Project


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
#19690 07/24/2004 4:31 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
ChevyAsylum,

Good deal! I'm running a 500 cfm Edelbrock on my 292 and I had similar fears. I'm running an aftermarket cam and headers and mine runs great! Other than some minor adjustments to the idle mixture screws my Edelbrock is running as set by the factory.

Can you email me pics of your throttle cable setup? I have a 1966 shortbed stepside and still haven't been able to put together a throttle cable setup that allows me to take full advantage of the carb secondaries.

-ftyler

#19691 07/24/2004 6:31 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
LGriffin,
You brought up a good point about heating the intake. I looked at the pic and was so blinded by that shiny carb I didn't notice there was no heat.

The guy with the Dana rear said it's from a '68 Chevy "Camper Special". He said it's original and also said it came with factory front disc brakes! It sounds like a straight bolt in as he said the truck has control arms just like mine. I've been on the hunt for 5-6 months for an 8 lug rear that I could just bolt in so I wouldn't have to fork out $500 to Art Houser for the 3.90 he sells. I could be wrong but, I think my sm420 4 spd will work pretty well with the 3.55 Dana.

ChevyAsylum,

With some help and advice from "ftyler", I fabricated a 1/4" thick plate of aluminum and tapped it for two brass fittings. Made a gasket for the plate and used sealant on both sides then bolted it to the intake. Then I cut my heater hoses and installed T fittings, connected hoses to the T's and ran them over to my brass fittings on the manifold. Presto change o, water heated intake.


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
#19692 07/24/2004 10:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
Ftyler: I'm not gonna heat the intake. So far, it's runnin fine and with the electric choke and the heat from the headers, it seems to be plenty sufficient.

The problem I see with a water-heated intake is that when ya need it the most, the water ain't hot enough to do any good. And when the water gets hot is when you'd be better off with a cooler manifold.

Also, what ya see in the pic is basically what I got on the cable linkage. It's a cable clamp held in place by one of the top plate screws on the carb and the other end goes to a Mr. Gasket throttle pedal with the same type of cable clamp. That's what the whole thing is....the Mr. Gasket pedal, cable and clamps. I spose I could have tried to adapt a pedal from another vehicle, but that ol pedal looked like a rat rod thing to me, so I bought one.

There are a few more pics on my website...the url's in my sig.

Mugsy:

If I were to plumb water from the heater hoses into the fittings on that manifold, I'd be tryin to burn water. They go right into the intake planum; they're vacuum ports. Clifford sells a water-heated manifold, but the Offy isn't water heated. It's made to mate up to the stock exhaust manifold and use the exhaust gas heating.

#19693 07/24/2004 10:58 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
We put a Carter 400 CFM AFB on our shop van Foorrdd with 300 CID 6. Picked up a tremendous amount of power, and even better fuel economy. That one barrel was really choking down the engine.

Used the Offenhauser intake with heat. Had it on for several hundred thousand miles until the van rusted out the third time (I love Missouri salt and cinders in the winter - NOT).

The only mod to the carb was to ditch the electric choke, and hook up a manual choke. Much more reliable for vehicles that have to start in all kinds of weather.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
#19694 07/25/2004 2:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
I didn't mean use the vacuum ports. You've got to fabricate and attach an aluminum plate where the exhaust manifold bolts on. Drill holes and tap for fittings. Did it with my Offenhauser and got the idea from ftyler. Works nice I think.


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0