The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#193732 11/18/2005 3:29 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
Does anyone make a pickup bed for a 1950 3600 3/4 ton pickup? Mine came with a flatbed with a wrecker contraption of sorts but I want it to have a bed. I know the 3600 is a longer wheelbase so this may be a problem.


Bruce
#193733 11/18/2005 4:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
jim carter has 3/4 ton bed parts available in their catalog, but i don't know what the quality of the panels are. someone else might be able to give you some insight on that issue but most of the comments i've heard on this site refer to the new reproduction stuff being a little on the thin side as opposed to the original panels.

honestly, if it were me, i would look for a bone yard and salvage the bed off of a 3/4 ton truck. down side of this approach is that some of the old stuff will have seen better days (which is why you may have to salvage it from several trucks).

one other thing...some guys (and gals) might be looking for "wrecker contraption" parts, so if you don't want them you may want to post up a picture and a price in the for sale section.

#193734 11/18/2005 4:53 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
I think it would be hard to find a bed in good condition that year,or rebuild one would be a few $$$.So maybe a cheaper way around this is to put a newer bed on ,maybe a flareside.form the junkyard.Seen one with a flareside bed on a 51 and it looked sweet


dan-pa
#193735 11/18/2005 5:30 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Brujones, I don't know anything about Jim Carter's 3/4-ton AD beds, but I've got a Jim Carter's repro bed on my 46 1/2-ton.

In my opinion, it's just as solid as anything I've seen on any of the other 46's I've looked at, and very comparable to the stock beds I've got on my 2-52's.

The only place I can tell a significant difference is probably in the tailgate. It seems to be a little bit lighter than stock. But then again, I'm comparing a 46 to an AD, and they might have been lighter weight anyway.

Jim Carter's might be a good deal for you right now, since they're offering that discount to us, this month.

#193736 11/18/2005 6:47 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
what is jim carter's web site and phone number??
my site is http://www.geocities.com/brujones1


Bruce
#193737 11/18/2005 7:10 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
www.oldchevytrucks.com

1.800.872.1913

#193738 11/18/2005 7:22 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
If you decide to go that direction, don't forget to mention the discount code that is mentioned in the other thread.

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=003537

20% off of a bed purchase, would be one great savings.

#193739 11/18/2005 4:33 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I have a '51 or '52 3/4 ton truck with a solid bed on it (no fenders).. shame you don't live closer!

I've seen alot of repro fenders made from metal and fiberglass, and compared to the originals, they sucked.. I don't have any direct experience with the repro beds.. if they're built like the repro fenders i've seen, I can't imagine they'd be good for any real hauling or work.. but if you're just going to use the truck for shows or sunny weekend drives, then I guess it dosen't matter.

Jed,

My beat to crap original '46 tailgate was just as heavy, if not more so than the AD tailgate.. but that might have been because there was a long iron bar running thru the bottom of it!


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
#193740 11/18/2005 7:49 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
Mar-K out of Oklahoma offers a bed for your truck. I purchased a bed from them and couldn't be happier with the quality. 16 gauge double sided galvanized. Heavy as the original bed, and unlike the original parts it won't rust. John

#193741 11/18/2005 11:46 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
I have decided not to do anything with the 50 chev pickup or the 54 2 ton due to low funds at this time but thanks for all your help!


Bruce
#193742 11/19/2005 1:18 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
If you don't care about originality, buy some plate steel and a couple of fenders and build your own bed. It's more or less a rectangle box with some fenders bolted on, should be easy,
Just a thought,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0