The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (52Carl, Wayne67vert, 53 green 1- ton, Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, DadsFirstPickup, greenie-reddy), 67 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#190700 10/03/2005 1:31 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
I finally got around to installing the front shocks on my stock 50 GMC 1-ton. It is not licensed yet so I've just been taking 2 or 3 mile trips around the house. Wow, what a difference!

There were no rear shocks from the factory but I've been cobbling up a set of brackets using some 3/4 ton parts.

Is there anybody out there driving a 1-ton AD with 9-foot pickup bed, overload springs AND shocks in the back? Please reply...do rear shocks make a difference on a beast such as this?


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 124
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 124
I have a 54 GMC one ton that I think left the factory as a pickup. It is now a flatbed. It has no shocks front or rear.I cant even find any brackets where it has had any.I dont drive it fast so I dont think I will mess with shocks even though I know it would handle better.


I like old trucks
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Shocks on 1 tons and larger are kind of unneccesary. There's not enough bounce in their stiff suspensions for shocks to do any good.
Just my opinion though,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
not just yer opinion Scott, no 1T had shocks in the rear, so musta been GM's opinion too grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Quote
Originally posted by red58:
not just yer opinion Scott, no 1T had shocks in the rear, so musta been GM's opinion too grin

Bill
They were optional. Never seen one so equipped, myself. Loaded down it's fine. When empty, I've heard you can get some wild oscillations in those springs.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0