The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ponchogl), 132 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,441
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#188418 08/24/2005 10:12 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
Y
Junior Member
Junior Member
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
Looking for a website that doesn't cater to retored classic trucks. I want to find a project truck...one that perhaps runs but needs work. Something I can enjoy by driving it but not be affraid to drop a screw driver on the fender. Where should I be looking? I found a website that specialized in solid, southern vehicles..some that ran and some that don't but I made the mistake of not book marking it and now I can't find it again frown

just curious to see where you guys look for your trucks/parts...this is a wanted post, more just a "pick your brain" post.

J


Looking for a 47-54 Bolt
#188419 08/24/2005 10:30 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Yellow Wagon, I think you've found it! While there are several restored trucks within these pages, I believe you'll find many more as you've described...

"Project Truck... one that perhaps runs but needs work. Something I can enjoy by driving it, but not be afraid to drop a screwdriver on the fender". At least that's how I consider mine.

Trucks and parts are found everywhere. Check the swap meet section, and the multiple links that are at the top of this page. Never overlook E-Bay, as I've found almost anything I've ever wanted there. With enough patience, you'll even find it for a price you want to pay. Might also try the auto-trader sights.

Last but not least, let everyone that you know or meet, exactly what you're looking for, and always keep your eyes and ears open. I wasn't even looking, when I found my 46 sitting in a neighbor's barn. Another neighbor saw me at a cruise night, and asked me if I was interested.

Good Luck on your search. Keep us posted.

#188420 08/24/2005 10:31 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
Ebay is actually quite good. Bought mine there after looking 6 months everywhere else I could think of. If you are prepared to travel with a tow dolly or trailer to get one, they will go cheap on Ebay depending on location.

Vintage Truck mag has some listed in each bi-monthly issue.

The best thing I've seen is a weekly publication called Truck Roundup, but it can only be found in some gas stations. There are all kinds of good old trucks in S. Dakota I've seen in that publication. Search the internet and you'll find the site. Never pursued it but there is a way to get their ad electronically. This is where I would start if you, and I'd check Ebay daily at the same time.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
#188421 08/24/2005 10:51 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
Yellow,
I had the same criteria for a truck. In southern california, you can look in the "Recycler" or go to their web site @ recycler.com and look in pre 1980 autos. This is where I found my truck. We also have a publication out here called "Auto Trader" and "Truck Trader" which, I believe also publish "Classic" versions as well. These are not necessarily restored vehicles.

#188422 08/24/2005 10:52 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Log on Traderonline.com & click collector cars. Hundreds of old trucks. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#188423 08/25/2005 5:04 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Yellow what I did when I started looking for my truck was to post "wanted" ads anywhere and everywhere. I also told everyone that I knew I was looking for an old truck. Found a couple that were local but not exactly what I wanted. It took me 18 months to find exactly what I wanted and in my price range. Good luck and welcome to the Bolt!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#188424 08/25/2005 10:51 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
Yellow Wagon

Limited selection but some interesting trucks at www.hotrodgarage.net
Go to "trucks for sale"

Good Luck!

#188425 08/25/2005 2:09 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
Y
Junior Member
Junior Member
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
wow

great responses you guys! I am new to the Bolts but I read about them everyday. I like them because you can get into one without putting a hole in the wallet and have fun working on it at the same time. I love older GMs anyways...my dream car is a 62 Chevy Bel Air bubbletop but the coin those things pull is insane. I am going to check out each and every site you guys recommended and you can be sure that if I find a truck, I will post about it here.

Thanks for your excellent replies and the warm welcome to this website


Looking for a 47-54 Bolt
#188426 08/27/2005 3:08 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Welcome aboard. Got my 52 from the father-in-law's farm equipment nine years ago. You can't have it grin , I'm keeping it busy as my daily driver. But I will let you look at her. smile
http://www.myoldtruck.com/gallery/files/2/3/8/Loaded.jpg


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#188427 08/27/2005 3:19 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
Dang Fred, That's a nice load in there. Check this out. Rockload
Notice the mudflaps are touching the ground. Not the smartest move on my part. The springs took a beating. I was treatin it like a 3/4 ton.

#188428 08/27/2005 3:24 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
Yellow, If I have learned anything in all my years it's "Patience pays". Wait for the right deal. The first Bolt I bought, I paid too much for. It needed more work than it was worth. And then, to top it off, the one I wanted came along a week later and I didn't have the money. One will turn up. Keep looking and be patient. Good luck.

#188429 08/28/2005 8:29 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 31
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 31
Yellow Wagon,
Try this site - www.countryclassiccars.com It has great pictures of what they have in stock and they have both cars and trucks. The prices could be better but they have alot of vehicles in stock that you can see on the web. I show this site to my students and they want to see many of their favorites. Then we move on to many cars or trucks that they have heard about but have not seen yet.

You can actually drive by this lot on Interstate 55 in Illinois somewhere around Troy, northeast of East St. Louis. I stubbled on it when I went to visit my mom. We were driving down the interstate and Wow! all these old classics.

I bought my '53 on Ebay. Picked it up with a rented trailer, pulled with a rented truck from around Branson, MO to Fort Atkinson, WI. The long distance purchase was an experience that I would not wish on my worst enemy. But that is a different story.

Shipwright gave the best advice when he said to be patient. Patience cannot be stressed enough. You might miss a good deal or two but in the long run you will be wiser and probably happier.

Good luck on the hunt,
Rick


I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
#188430 08/28/2005 6:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Just google the year and make you want and you will find hundreds of trucks for sale. Try:

Hemmings

Deals on Wheels

for sale

Check out our own swap meet section. I also find lots of trucks on craigslist

I find them from free to $50K from junk to show. Where do you want to be? Do you want a 1/2 ton, suburban or five window? How far are you willing to travel or are you prepared to have a shipper deliver it? If you find one out of your area see if someone on the SBP will check it out for you, I know of a couple of guys who have had success with this approach. Good luck. grin ......g

#188431 08/28/2005 7:02 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
I found my '65 C10 in the regular cheap Truck Trader - which is b&w classified ads in a newspaper type print magazine - ya get it at the gas station, etc..

-W

#188432 08/29/2005 3:48 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
Y
Junior Member
Junior Member
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6
53 GMC - yep, I have seen that site and have looked at some of the trucks listed. Thanks though. I have checked out craigslist as well without a whole lotta luck but thats OK. Patience is on my side, no issue there. I have time.

as far as the body style is concerned, ideally a 5-window 1/2 ton would be my choice but if I found a really clean non 5-window that would be fine also.


Looking for a 47-54 Bolt
#188433 08/29/2005 8:39 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Yellow Wagon,

Did you see the one I posted for you over in the "Is this guy kidding" topic?

Last I looked, it was only sitting at $2,800.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4570271280&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0