The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Phak1, Peggy M, Flatblu4748, Charles in CA, FAST55, Gray_Ghost, Rusted Nut), 105 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,686
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16
Thanks to all for all the advice on my 61 that quits when it gets warm. Changed out the condensor, didn't help, then changed out the coil ... drove it about 5 miles last night before it quit (thought it was fixed for sure). Still think it is electrical, but I will continue to troubleshoot based upon all your suggestions ... and will get it sooner or later ... hopefully, sooner. Thanks again.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Did you check the tire pressure? Windsheild washer fluid level?


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
I had the same problem on my 72. I put in an HEI distributor and the pick up coil inside went bad and kept blowing modules. You prolly have a points dizzy so this may not help. Good luck.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
One thing I do when I am trying to troubleshoot...

I clamp a spark plug to ground somewhere close to the distributor. Take the coil wire off of the distributor and put it on the spark plug. If it sparks (blue), it is not a problem with the coil, points, or condenser. The only things left are the rotor, cap, and wires. Then replace the coil wire to the Dist. Now pull a plug wire and put it on the clamped plug... see if it sparks... continue through all plug wires one at a time... If they all spark it is not an electrical problem.

All that being said, yours is an intermittent problem that seems to be heat related... if the condition that causes the problem changes while troubleshooting, you can easily be fooled and end up frustrated.

Take your time, have someone to help, and go through it systematicly. Eliminate only one variable at a time. Once you find the culprit. try to re-create the problem. If you can... you have reached success.


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Need to find out if its fuel or fire, I have had a couple 60-66s that did the same thing when there was clogging at the sending unit, there is a sharp bend at the top of the sender that clogs. Can't really see in there, even w/sender out, but fish some wire thru it & see what comes out. First one drove me nuts. It would pump for quite some time then finally run out of fuel. After the truck sat a while it would restart fine. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
Fumblin46...

You forgot to ask if he aligned the Johnson Rod. grin


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
when this truck stops running, how long do you have to wait till it will restart?? do you try to start it while movin if it dies?


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16
Joker - When it dies, it will usually start right back after it sits a minute or so. It does die running down the road, and leaving the ignition on and the clutch out, it doesn't try to restart ... just winds down to a stop. Tried pumping the gas and pulling the choke, and neither helped. As Inky pointed out, it kinda frustrating because it doesn't stay broken long enough to do much trouble shooting.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
It sure sounds like fuel starvation to me, clogged fuel line or filter. Did you check condition of the rubber line under the cab on passenger side, that bridges gap between the tank sending unit and the hard fuel line on the frame? It could be collapsing from fuel suction while running? Just a thought....

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
That's a good point Yachtcare. I had one that just cracked and started leaking after showing NO signs of a problem. A new rubber hose should be mandatory as the technology in rubber has progressed quite a bit.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16
I'll check the fuel lines and will also take a look at the sending unit mentioned earlier. Maybe something will show up.

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
mine will sometime die early in a warm up period and it may coast to a stop,most of the time it will restart by just turning the key off and on while it is moving,, I am just living with it, may do it twice till it warms up and then you may go all day with out it happening,,,,,,,,,let us know when you get it figured out...........Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
Are you confident that there's not crud built up in a fuel filter? This could cause your problem.

Brian

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16
No fuel filter.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
No fuel filter? I would guess it would be about time to clean out your carburator, Steve

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
No doubt. All kinds of crud floats around in gas.

Unless you put a new fuel tank, lines, and pump on your truck, you absolutely need a fuel filter.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
My truck had been sitting in a field for 6 yrs with hardly any gas in it for 6 yrs..The inside of the tank had a nice coating of red surface rust..I went through about 6 fuel filters before it got better..I bought the clear ones so you can see how clogged they are getting..Always keep your tools and an extra filter..Didn't want to pull the tank, and it worked..Good Luck, Steve

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 112
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 112
I had a similar problem with the 327 in my 64. Turned out that the wire to the condenser was broken INSIDE of the insulation. It about drove me crazy because it would usally start after sitting a minute or less. The bushings were wore so i replaced the whole unit with a rebuilt one. Not a single problem with that since.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Got to be a fuel starvation problem. Start at the tank (clean the tank)and replace everything to the carb, then clean and rebuild the carb. Put a fuel filter in line to save you from having to redo the carb job. Had a VW one time that the kids put grass clippings in the tank. Ran great for 15 to 20 minutes then would die. Wait 5 minutes and restart. Finally it worked its way into the carb inlet and wouldn't start for several hours. Good luck!


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 77
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 77
If you have a fuel pump that is assembled with screws take it apart and inspect the check valve it sounds as if it is got crud in it, not allowing it to fill the bowl properly, had this problem in a 55 2nd and it acted just the same way.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0