The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 197 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#187332 08/11/2005 3:28 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
OK I have two 55gal drums in the back of my Stovebolt. How the HECK do I remove the lids so that I can use them as burn barrels? Surely some of you do-it-yourselfers have had to deal with this situation before.


delete my account and pictures
#187333 08/11/2005 3:34 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
If they have crimped on lids as most do, take a big chisel and a big hammer and just chisel your way around the inside of the crimp.

Very easy to do and much safer than using a torch. Make sure they are empty and rinsed clean beofre you start.

#187334 08/11/2005 3:54 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
My "barrel guy" has a huge can opener, just peels the lids right off if you want. Air chisel will also work well. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
#187335 08/11/2005 4:02 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Sawsall with ear plugs,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#187336 08/11/2005 4:04 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
I thought about the hammer / chisel but didn't know if it would work. The air chisel is a good idea. I've needed one of those for a long time anyway.

Where does one find a "barrel guy"? lol....


delete my account and pictures
#187337 08/11/2005 4:32 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
48bigtrucks: You mean a scroll saw? But I need to have a lid to put back on to keep the water out. And hell yes, I will wear ear plugs. I wear them just about all the time anyway. I've abused my ears in the past and I'm paying the price.


delete my account and pictures
#187338 08/11/2005 4:58 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Tab,
I have removed many tops with the hammer/chisel combo. With a sharp chisel and heavy hammer it is amazingly fast, and sort of fun too. Wear a good glove on the hand holding the chisel. When done properly, it gives a pretty burr free edge. When the top drops into the barrel, leave it there...the bottom won't rust out as quickly. Be sure to slice air vents around the bottom to aid in combustion.

Stuart.

#187339 08/11/2005 10:36 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Im make sure they are clean,and use the old smoke wrench.Works great.

#187340 08/11/2005 1:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
atomarc: Thanks! Looks like the hammer and chisel it is.

dale937: What's a "smoke wrench"?


delete my account and pictures
#187341 08/11/2005 3:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 255
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 255
Do not use a torch on any barrel. I had a buddy that had one explode on him with what he thought was a clean dry barrel. Use a chisel and hammer and when you are done, lay it down on a 2x4 and hammer the burrs flat against the side. I make lids for my feed barrels out of plywood. I made a circle cutting jig for my router and I cut one circle the diameter of the inside of the barrel and another about an inch bigger in radius and just screw them together and use a screen door handle to lift them off. I have had some of these outside without paint for 10 years or more.
Ralph


rtlopez@shipleysystems.com
48 Chevy 3600 w/235
48 Chevy 3100 w/235:
You cant see the smoke on a dirt road.
#187343 08/11/2005 4:07 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 147
R
RT1 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 147
I have used an air chisel tool, I did work at a place that had a big can opener.

Cool tool, made for opening drums, plasma cutter also works.

The ones I try to find now have removable lids, you can put the lid back on, keep the rain out.

Those are sweet, and it will last longer...

-RT1

#187344 08/11/2005 5:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 86
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 86
The tool you are looking for is called a drum deheader. They run about 65 bucks. You can order one online, newpig.com p/n DRM561


47.5 Loadmaster 5 window
48 Chevy 3600
69 GTO convertible
#187345 08/11/2005 6:34 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
Ray: Holy crap! You have a 69 GTO convertable? 69 was THE best year for the Goat.

I want to decrimp that lip so that I can remove the lid but I may not be able to do it with the tools that I have.

When I take my hammer and chisel to these things should I work around the side of the lid or set the barrel upright and chisel the top?


delete my account and pictures
#187346 08/11/2005 6:37 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
Oldtmy48: I JUST read a story on the net about a mechanic who was killed using a torch to cut the lid off of a 55gal drum. The cause of death; "blunt force trauma". darn thing blew up.

Some of those drums had some nasty chemicals inside. I got some marked "sorbitol".


delete my account and pictures
#187347 08/11/2005 6:55 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
oldtmy48: thanks for that lid making tip.

Ray: Thanks for the drum deheader tool tip. Since I only have two drums, buying another specialty tool is not what I want to do right now, but I will keep it in mind.


delete my account and pictures
#187348 08/11/2005 8:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 86
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 86
Tab,
Check your area For drum dealers. I pay $23 apiece for used openheads ( removeable tops ). As for the GTO your right i prefer the 69.


47.5 Loadmaster 5 window
48 Chevy 3600
69 GTO convertible
#187349 08/11/2005 8:03 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
OK, it wasn't fun but it's done.

timcan


delete my account and pictures
#187350 08/11/2005 8:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
Ray: I got my drums for $3.00ea at a local scrapyard. I'm going back to get some more for rain barrels.

After 69 GTO's got uglier . They were still ok but nothing like the 69. The 69 Judge is my all time favorite car. I saw one driving down the road here in TexAss last year in a downpour. It looked like the guys daily driver. Oh, do I miss the 60's and early 70's.


delete my account and pictures

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0