The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186973 08/05/2005 10:48 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
Hey Guys, just starting to paint the original leaf springs and front axel on my '48 (w/POR 15) and before I assemble them back together , I was reading an article in Chevy Duty about removing some of the leafs to lower my truck. Any body dun this? Thanx 4 ya help! Mike

#186974 08/06/2005 12:44 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
I have. Took 3 leaves out of the front. It will bottom out on a medium sized bump, but once you get used to it, you know how fast to go over them. I'm gonna put a sway bar on to balance out the load a little more and see if that helps.

#186975 08/06/2005 1:31 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
Hey Ship, wanted to lower mine a bit, which ones did you take out?..bottom, top, or middle, and did you put on some new u-bolts?..Thanks, Steve

#186976 08/06/2005 3:21 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 185
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 185
I have driven/owned trucks where leaves have been removed and it is not a comfortable experience. You lose capacity but perhaps more importantly, you lose rigidity.

Alternatives include dropped axle, mono-leaf springs, and re-arched (de-arched) or custom springs.

dropped axle
custom springs ( their beliefs )
mono-leaf springs

#186977 08/06/2005 4:01 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
Norse is right. It rides a little like a bowl of Jello. Hopping a sway bar will help. I plan on putting one on the back end too. If it does not help I will just go to monoleafs. I can't remember which leaves I took out. I still have them so tommorow I'll check it out and get back to ya. On the U bolts, I just threaded them down a little further and put on double nuts. I would just go back stock but it looks like a 4x4. I hate it. Don't mind the ride though. By the way, don't take leaves out of the rear to lower. Use blocks. The loss in rigidity in the back will cause driveline vibration.

#186978 08/06/2005 12:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
Thanks..Don't want to lower the back, just the front..Already have a sway bar, and it's great..Appreciate ya, Steve

#186979 08/06/2005 2:49 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
Thanx for the info guys! I 2 plan on putting a sway bar in the front and rear. I put one on the front of my '66 and it took all of the top heavy feel out of it so it auto work great on the '48. Thanx again!Mike

#186980 08/07/2005 2:42 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Here's an approach to lowering the front. I don't recommend this, but did find it interesting...

[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/08/hot_rod_arama/PIC00025.jpg[/img]

This is the entire truck...

[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/08/hot_rod_arama/PIC00021.jpg[/img]


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#186981 08/07/2005 9:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
Maybe in a parade ? not back and forth to work! smile

#186982 08/08/2005 8:01 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 29
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 29
What about the rear end removing springs back there make it ride or handle different? If so what is a better way to lower it?


Jim
1940 Chev pickup Retro Rod
1957 Buick Century
1968 Mustang (Golden nugget)
2004 Trailblazer
Pix on Cardomain
#186983 08/11/2005 10:46 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
I have removed 2 leafs from the rear(not the shortest one but the 2 after that)I had 8 leafs to begin with and now 6 lowered it and rode smoother.Now as far as loads I dont know because my truck was retired, she was just for looks ,cruzin around , no more hard work for her, and it was just fine. I pur 15 x 8 with 70 ser. tires and clearance was ok also. Hope this helps, Mike


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0