Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,154 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 | Hey Guys, just starting to paint the original leaf springs and front axel on my '48 (w/POR 15) and before I assemble them back together , I was reading an article in Chevy Duty about removing some of the leafs to lower my truck. Any body dun this? Thanx 4 ya help! Mike | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | I have. Took 3 leaves out of the front. It will bottom out on a medium sized bump, but once you get used to it, you know how fast to go over them. I'm gonna put a sway bar on to balance out the load a little more and see if that helps. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 | Hey Ship, wanted to lower mine a bit, which ones did you take out?..bottom, top, or middle, and did you put on some new u-bolts?..Thanks, Steve | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 | I have driven/owned trucks where leaves have been removed and it is not a comfortable experience. You lose capacity but perhaps more importantly, you lose rigidity. Alternatives include dropped axle, mono-leaf springs, and re-arched (de-arched) or custom springs. dropped axle custom springs ( their beliefs ) mono-leaf springs | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | Norse is right. It rides a little like a bowl of Jello. Hopping a sway bar will help. I plan on putting one on the back end too. If it does not help I will just go to monoleafs. I can't remember which leaves I took out. I still have them so tommorow I'll check it out and get back to ya. On the U bolts, I just threaded them down a little further and put on double nuts. I would just go back stock but it looks like a 4x4. I hate it. Don't mind the ride though. By the way, don't take leaves out of the rear to lower. Use blocks. The loss in rigidity in the back will cause driveline vibration. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 | Thanks..Don't want to lower the back, just the front..Already have a sway bar, and it's great..Appreciate ya, Steve | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 | Thanx for the info guys! I 2 plan on putting a sway bar in the front and rear. I put one on the front of my '66 and it took all of the top heavy feel out of it so it auto work great on the '48. Thanx again!Mike | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 | Maybe in a parade ? not back and forth to work!  | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 29 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 29 | What about the rear end removing springs back there make it ride or handle different? If so what is a better way to lower it?
Jim 1940 Chev pickup Retro Rod 1957 Buick Century 1968 Mustang (Golden nugget) 2004 Trailblazer Pix on Cardomain | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 | I have removed 2 leafs from the rear(not the shortest one but the 2 after that)I had 8 leafs to begin with and now 6 lowered it and rode smoother.Now as far as loads I dont know because my truck was retired, she was just for looks ,cruzin around , no more hard work for her, and it was just fine. I pur 15 x 8 with 70 ser. tires and clearance was ok also. Hope this helps, Mike | | |
| |