The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (FAST55, klhansen, JW51, Hanks custodian, Jay R, BC59), 182 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,155
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#185489 07/15/2005 7:42 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
Just introducing myself, nice site. I'm not an owner yet, but shopping for a 47 to 54 project. Some great looking trucks in the gallery and it appears some great help here once I find a project.

Any suggestions in the process of shopping for one of these trucks would be appreciated.

Bye the way, I'm in Indiana if there is anyone in the area.

John


John
#185490 07/15/2005 7:59 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
Welcome to the 'Bolt. There are a few Inianaers, Indianaites, Indianans (what you call it) here on the board.

When looking for a truck always keep in mind what you want the end product to be. If you are wanting a stock driver and do not care about new paint, V8s, independent front suspension, then look for a running and driving truck. If you are wanting a street rod, look for an uncompleted project. They can be had for cheap and usually have enough parts and spare parts to complete the project. On all trucks, look for rust in the floors of the cab, cab corners, running boards, bed sides, and fenders. Half tons have more parts available to them, so keep that in mind when you look, as it can be difficult to find certain wear parts for the larger trucks, brake drums for instance.

Others will chime in with their ideas.

Phil


Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
#185491 07/15/2005 8:00 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
JR Indy Welcome to the Bolt! I have some relative in Kendleville (sp?). There are a few bolters that are from IN. As for advice, I found my truck through an ad that a Placed online. When I made the decision to get an AD truck I posted want ads anywhere and everywhere that I could for free. It took me about 18 month to find exactly what I wanted but I did. I am sure you will find what you are looking for. By the way Tell EVERYONE that you are looking for an old Chevy Truck. You will be amazed at how many people say "oh I think so and so has an old truck out behind the barn".

Good luck!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#185492 07/16/2005 2:39 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Check the Swap Meet section of this site!!!!!


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

#185493 07/16/2005 2:48 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 102
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 102
John, I live in southern Indiana just across the pond from Louisville. You should come to The Street Rod Nationals the first weekend of August in Louisville. Really, thousands of AD trucks there. A great place to see and buy. You know, streetrods according to NSRA are 1948 and older. All AD trucks are 1948 on that weekend. I go to many car events in Indy.


Ron Thompson
51 Chevy 1/2 ton
36 F@rd coupe
65 Riviera

#185494 07/16/2005 7:02 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Welcome aboard! This is the right spot to start looking for an old truck. Only you can decide on which old truck! The gallery does have some great trucks and there are many years represented there, so finding what style, type and year is at your fingertips. I like the Advance Design 1947 -55 (AD)truck, preferably the Suburban and Canopy Express.

Keep looking at all of the sites and make sure you go to the car shows and check them out. This site has all types of trucks: custom, modified, hot rod, rat rod, stock originals, drivers, owner built and shop built and a combination of both. Oh and the most common (at least at my house....IRWIPI)

I see you posted and ad Trucks Wanted section , there are a lot of "Projects" out there. Do you want a running original or does it matter if it has the original engine and transmission?

Use the search feature, Tech tips and the gallery frequently. This site is I think ten years old and a lot of questions have been answered. We don't mind answering them again, but the search is fun too! grin ........g

Here are a couple of sites that I pulled from the Tech tips area:

39/40 buying guide

1960 -66 buying guide

Frequently Asked Questions

#185495 07/16/2005 12:57 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
jr indy welcome. if you are looking there is a 53 truck sitting on the east side of highway 37 in elwood just a little ways north of the four way stop. i think he wants to much and it has been there a long time. my son lives in fishers and i will be there today. havn't decided to drive my 54. because of the threat of rain and the wipers don't always work,vacuum. good luck in your quest. RON


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
#185496 07/16/2005 4:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
Quote
Any suggestions in the process of shopping for one of these trucks would be appreciated.
When you find a truck you are thinking of buying, as some above pointed out, ask yourself what you want as a finished product. Before you complete the sale, total up the cost of parts you will have to buy and the work you will have to do to get the truck to your goal. You might find that it might be "cheaper" to go buy a more expensive truck.

Otherwise, take the plunge, don't look back...and have fun.

#185497 07/16/2005 5:53 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Fred!!! don't you be tryin to sell the grandsons truck! grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#185498 07/16/2005 6:02 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
For the right price I will sell anything grin


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#185499 07/17/2005 12:55 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
JR INDY, went to my sons house in fichers. i took pictures fo the truck and there happened to be another about 200 ft. away. to see them you will have to go to my webshots and click on finds. i don't know how to cut and paste, i will figure it out if i live to be a hundered, maybe. hope the pictures help in your search. RON


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
#185500 07/17/2005 1:02 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
Hey JR INDY and WE b OLD; we're neighbors. I live on the edge of Fishers (behind the Meijer store on 96th street. My 57 TF is apart right now but she'll be cruisin' in a few weeks. I decided to detail the engine compartment.

Which one of you have that nice red AD that I see running around Fishers every now and then?

Super Chevy is at IRP this weekend. I'd bet there's an AD out there you could pick up. I'll be out there on Sunday to see what they have. I believe Chevy Duty was out there last year. Maybe I'll pick up a part or two or three or ....

Later,


Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
57 Chevy 3100
#185501 07/17/2005 1:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
jerry,not me i only get down from marion once in awhile. my son lives off of 131 east of 37. he has two new bmw. on 325i and a 2005 x3 he got last week. he not in to old things, except me, or when i do work at his house. dry walled and taped for six hours today not finsihed yet. he likes the 54 when i haul things so he doesn't get his new cars dirty, used my 2003 pt cruiser today because of all the rain, wipers are intermittent, once in a blue moon. the way i understand it jr is looking for something. maybe he should come to james dean days in sept. gas city and jonesboro. look and my webshots finds. took the pictures today. if you can cut and paste maybe you could post them for me. RON


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
#185502 07/17/2005 3:24 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
I take something to the Ducktail every year. It's a great time.


Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
57 Chevy 3100
#185503 07/17/2005 5:19 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
JR, I live an hour west of Indy out in the country. Check the free rag "Indiana Auto and RV" The back section has commercial trucks ans the old stuff is in the middle. Take a drive out in the country and look around. I am into the old Chevy big bolts (1946 2-ton). You see a lot of these in the coutry during the harvest. I went to Minnesota to get my truck(ebay). I always figure if it is what I want it is worth the travel to get it. The road trip is part of the adventure. Once you are out on the road this country isn't that big:) You may even find something else along the way. Happy hunting

#185504 07/17/2005 2:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
JR,

Here's another tech tip about getting an old truck -- just went up. last week.

Welcome to the site and thanks for the kind remarks. Yup. You'll find the Bolters quote helpful around here.

We lived in Indian-oplace for almost three years while stationed at Fort Harrison. Great place - we were on the East side (21st Place). It's not country anymore we're told. Loved taking the girls to school passing all the corn fields.

We have friend still there - in Danville.

We have some great memories from there. And we have the video Hoosiers.

grin

Peggy


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
#185505 07/18/2005 1:07 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
Thanks for all of the replies. I know from my past car searches, mainly old porsche 911's, that the search is half the fun. I'm new to the truck search so wasn't sure where the hot sites would be to find one. I drive through the cornfields and past farms everyday on the work commute and keep my eyes open.

I'm not really sure what the finished project (If it ever really gets finsished) will look like. It won't be a full restore, or a complete street rod. Something in between. Something I can drive and have some fun with and use. The truck in Elwood is too expensive. I need to call the one in Union City. I've got a big pole barn/workshop, so a project is not a problem.

Thanks again guys & gals, I need to check out all the tips you recommended above.


John

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0