Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,292 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | I have read all the recent threads regarding tires/wheels. My truck has a real tootie-fruity set of wheels and the extra wheels we found in the barn are just as mixed up. Some measure over 16", one over 17". All are so rusted I have to get one good set.
I'm a real green horn at all this...
If the 16"+ wheels are really 15" and the 15" is original(?), what is the advantage of a 16" wheel which seems to be the size that most of you who have responded in the threads mention when you recommend tires?
I've got the word out in town that I'm looking for a set of 15"s, should I be looking for 16"s?
Help! Thanks! Sabrina | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 355 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 355 | Sabrina, How do you want to use your truck . . . is it a fun driver or a restoration? I *believe* that the 16s were referenced in the threads because the original rims on many of the trucks in question were 16s.
I would think about the availability and cost of getting the 16s. I have them on both of my trucks, and a full set of radials for my 54 3100 was just quoted at about $475 (US).
I've also got 16" bias tires on my '63 C20, and they still run close to $100 (US) per tire. I won't drive it in snow or on wet roads, though, because of the bias tires.
You can go either route - switching to the 15s or going with 16s. Because I feel weird/unsafe driving my big '63 on bias tires in rain and snow, I wanted to go with radials on our '54. I assumed that I wouldn't be able to get radials for the original rims, so I was planning to switch to 15" rims. Thanks to Woogeroo and the Stovebolt Page, I learned that I could keep my original rims AND find radials to fit.
It all comes down to how you want to use your truck and how much you want to spend on tires. The 15s are generally much cheaper and much easier to find, but I just liked the look of the big stock tires. If you have access to 15s and the price is right, there is nothing wrong with putting on a set of 15s. Have fun with your project, | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | Kimberly, Thank you. I guess I might have to go with the 15", for the cost. I will be using the truck as my daily driver & will need to invest in new radials as I drive on some crazy surfaces here, we live on a rural highway & I need a tire to really grip & be safe. We have 15"s on our '85 1/2 ton & put new 16"s on my '98 3/4 ton Suburban the day we bought it. It was around $700 for four. We want 'Jack' to look beefy like our other trucks. Hopefully I can get some BF Goodrich All Terrains to give the same effect. I sure appreciate your help and am glad to meet you! Sabrina | | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 113 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 113 | MexicoSab - My Dad is from that era and owned a 54. The 54's had a dealership option of either 15" or 16" wheels, so the choice is yours. I have 15" and went with the tallest and widest radials I could get mounted, and it added about a 10% increase in speed, so I need to watch the old speedometer. Hope this helps!
Bruce (I love My Truck) Miller
1954 5 Window 3100 Chevy Pickup - Driver 1929 **** Model A Pickup - Restoration
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | Bruce, Thanks. It makes me happy to know that either one was stock. Sabrina | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | My dad has 16 inch wheels on his '53 chevy truck by his choice - we recently found out(when we started looking at tire prices) that he could have gotten tires for a 15 inch wheel much cheaper at least on this side of the border... and he is just building his truck up to drive and have fun in... but he is happy with the way they fit on there... plus he already had the wheels. Stop by or call some local tire install places and see what will fit and how much they cost for 15" or 16" and depending on what your budget is, that should decide it for you. Good luck. -W | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | Woogeroo, The 15" wheels are going to cost about $20dlls each, as soon as they can come up with a matching set- doesn't seem too bad. Tires are cheaper in the States but they won't let you just bring them in. I guess I'll have to buy them here  Besides being less expensive they are better quality in San Diego. I sent the thread about your dad's truck's wheels & tires to myself to be able to refer to it & The Stovebolt sent it to me too. Helpful. Thanks. Sabrina | | |
| |