Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,305 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 | Boy, this seems like a dumb question, but does the seat fold down in a '66 C10? If it does, I can't find a release for it anywhere. I'm getting a gas smell in my cab and want to get back to the tank to look for leaks. I can slide the seat forward on the tracks, but its not enough room to get to the tank. Am I going to have to remove the entire seat?
Thanks, Steve | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | In my '65 c10 with a bench seat - ya just pull the back of the seat foward and it lays down....
-W | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 313 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 313 | The back of the bench seat in my '66 C-10 folds down, but the arm rest will hold it in place if the driver's door is closed. If it does not fold down, you may have a seat from a different vehicle. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 428 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 428 | I believe there were 2 different seats that were used, one had a back that could be folded forward and the other was stationary. In my '70 C10 it is stationary. | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | My 60 has one that folds. Their might be nuts on the bottom back corners of the seat that will keep it from folding. Good Luck | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 | I looked close again last night and mine has 2 large screws at what might otherwise be the hinge or pivot point, about 4" apart. This seems to effectively be locking it in place. So maybe my seat has been changed, bummer.
Thanks, Steve | | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | The folding seat was an option, iirc. Some guys would take a screw out to make it a folder, but they used a 2x4 on the gas tank for a stop.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 196 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 196 | Steve,
My 66 just folds forward, no locking mechanism. There's one bolt at the tip of the bracket coming down from the back of the seat. As you lay it back, it rests on adjustable stops sticking up from the bottom of the seat frame. You are welcome to come over and look at mine to get an idea or I can send a pic.
Rance
66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding) I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 | Mine is definately a non-fold down type. What a pain.
He Rance - how's you new truck doing? Send me an e-mail with your progress.
Steve | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | Since my post I have learned what bigbassman and Fred T have already posted - two different kinda seats.
Kinda weid... but I a guy I know just took his bench seat out of his '66 cuz it wouldn't fold down.
-W | | |
| |