Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,092 Posts1,056,457 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | I saw this on the Rust Smuggler/Fatfenders(he who has the Canary and The Toad) website : "This 30 gallon tank is from a 2000 Chev 2 ton Van it's a great fit. And as you can see I've gone with a 9 inch Ford with 3.35 gears for the rear end." --- So I am merely curious, what tanks have you used or know of people using safely, sanely under the beds of 1947-1955 1st series AD trucks? Please state year of truck, 1/2, 3/4 etc. and what kinda rear end axle it has. I thought this might be 'interesting' and useful in the future. -W p.s. Rust Smuggler/Fatfenders site: http://members.shaw.ca/fatfenders/ | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 147 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 147 | Well I'm planning on installing mine under the bed. 1954 1/2 ton with 9 inch.
I have been looking at a lot of them that are under the bed, I have only seen a few that actualy fill from the side though. I wish more people had there side fill tanks pics posted. So I could get a better idea on placement of the filler tube. I really don't want to fill through the bed.
-Randy * | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 | Woog-
I have a '51 Chevy 3100 AD truck. The frame I am using is modified, but my brother in law found a "saddle" tank from a C10 that with a very small bit of massaging fit well behind the Nova-donated differential. Estimate it is at least 15 galllons, but not as big as the Toad's van tank. Not sure that there will be enough room for an underbed spare. I liked the $25 price a lot better than custom stainle$$ costs! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 113 Member | | Member Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 113 | I have heard that mustang II tanks will fit nicely between the rear frame rails and they can still be purchased new for about $250. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 | I have always wondered why nobody reproduces the stock 47 and 48 saddle tank. Its a great location, its tucked inside the frame, fills easy, east to remove, and the filler looks natural in that location. The only drawback I could think of is with dual exhaust on a V-8 engine. When I do my 51 truck, I am going to build a 48 style tank and install it that way. Ralph | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 20 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 20 | Gotta free 80 something 30 gal 'burb tank with the filler through the fender- it was a snug fit- hadta make my own Reese type hitch to have room enough. No spare!
longtrail It is only possible to live happily ever after one day at a time.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 | I am in the process of installing a 62 Impala tank in my 54 1/2 ton with a stock rear axle. The filler neck will be on the back side of the left fender. The tank has a 20 gal. capacity. It is mounted just in front of the rear cross member. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | Oldtmy 48, cuz that would make too much sense. -W | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 124 Member | | Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 124 | The tanks under the back of the bed look good to me but I have a one ton with a home made wooden bed and i put mine under the side of the bed in front of the left rear wheel.Works for me.
I like old trucks
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | Bullet - what tank did you use? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 | 31 gallon 81 full size Blazer tank ( new from NAPA $129) behind the rear axle on my 49 sub. Had to make my own straps. Good fit. Fill on drivers side through the fender. Weeds | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 124 Member | | Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 124 | I used a preassure tank for a water system. Got it from a locay well drilling company. I measured the space I had and ordered one that fit. Had to make the pickup tube. Used a piece of brake line tubing and soldered it into a plug that screwed into a fitting that was made into the tank.The filler neck is a 10 inch pipe nipple. I vented it in the side of the neck.No gas gauge but I use a stick to see how much I have left. I have done that on another truck for ten years and only ran out once. I knew I was low but thought I could make it.
I like old trucks
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | I put a mid 80's chevy van tank in the 54 I used to have. It fit well and was 21 gallons if I remember correctly. Got the stocker behind the seat still in my 49. Once I got all the leaks fixed, (gas cap mostly) I'm really happy with it. I like the shut off valve under the cab. It still has some gunk in the tank, so I have a glass filter under there. When it gets gunk in it I just turn the valve off and clean the filter. Works for me. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | Thanks people... keep 'em coming.
-W | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | mine is stock and I see no reason to move it...Fred
just drive em................. Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 31 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 31 | Took the tank out of the cab of my 3/4 ton. Put a '79 Blazer tank under the bed between the frame rails and behind the pumpkin. Holds twentyfive gallons, fills through the bed. It's tricky because I have no gas gauge. One of my projects this summer is to change the filler neck to come out behind the fender. Good topic, Woogeroo. Been wondering about this myself.
-Rick
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | joker -I have the stock tank in my '65 and have no problems with it... I was just wonderin' what people have used when they changed the tank location for whatever reason.
I thought it would make a nice little blurb of information here on the bolt.
-W | | |
| |