The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 174 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
when i was a kid, i wouldn't be caught dead owning a 6 banger. my taste ranged from a 409 chevy to a host of smallblocks. 6 bangers were as unkool as 4 door cars, like studebakers. ol' kool wasn't goin' for that! when i returned from the service, i was pretty banged up, and didn't get around too good. my dad gave me his 1954 chevy 1/2 ton, all original, including a spotlight that was dealer installed. it had an auto tranny, and the p.o. had installed a full guage package in the dash. the choice was to drive the truck, or stay home, and to be honest, the old truck sorta had some appeal to me, and i was grateful to my dad for the gift. he went out and found a fantastic 50 merc, so we were both happy. as i healed the truck became part of my therapy. being a gearhead, i started thinking about hopping up the truck. then it hit me, why not improve the 6? that became the plan and mission. lighter springs in the vacuum advance to increase timing advance speed, and performance parts from a company called clifford research, which advertised 6=8. they were right. split manifold, and the addition of a 2 bbl carb helped the old truck plenty. i was aware the auto tranny was the weak link, but kept it anyway. nope, it wasn't a racer, but a pretty snappy little street machine that was fairly good on gas, and real dependable. i drove that old truck into the ground. after a few years of beating the truck was starting to show serious signs of wear and tear, so i sold it. whatever happened to it, i don't know. i will say i would give plenty to have it back, but i'm sure it is gone forever. what i have left are some great memories, and a profound respect for the old iron, much the same as i have for the man who gave me my first stovebolt. this morning, i lost him too. i would give plenty to have him back as well.

i am convinced there are lessions in life. there are things we should pay attention to, learn from, and never forget. i often remind myself that the days of spring, summer and fall are short, and the winter is cold and dark. while we can, we should take the time to drive the back country roads, picnic, hold our children, and enjoy that old truck smell. while we can, we should love our friends, and forgive our enemies. these things are sometimes difficult to do, but are important. we should do these things while we can, as soon enough, we won't be able to.

i lost my best and closest friend today. he is gone as sure as that old truck, never to return, despite how much money i would give. i do have, keep ,and cherish the memories. i will keep him forever in my heart and in that place build a sanctuary to him.

the days of spring and summer were short, and now in the fall i can see the darkness of winter on the horizon. it makes those drives down the back roads alittle more special. take the time folks. take a lifetime. enjoy the ride.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
I am sorry to hear of your loss, my mother passed in February and I still miss the days when I could just drop in....... George

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Yeah, koolkar, sorry to hear about your loss. My dad is 75, and currently traveling for the winter. He's a pain when he's around, but I miss him when he's gone.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
KK, sorry to hear about your loss, take care of your self,,,,regards,,Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I spent the last two weeks of his life with my dad at the end of May this year. We also had a special relationship. He is where I got my cutting, "Amsterdam style" humor and my love for fishing. It is going to be a hard time but at least we have our memories. It seems to me that they don't make them like that any more. So, I want to be like him for my kids.
Stay strong.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
KK: Sorry to hear about your father. I've been fortunate thus far, mines 75 this year, and still going strong. Your post is a strong testament to your dad and the valuable lessons you learned from him. I hope that some day, my son and I will share the love of an old 6 (with a split manifold) that my dad and I have shared all these years. So far, he's just not real excited about riding in anything that might "leave me walking". Good Luck, and thanks for sharing your story.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
KK,
Wow man, your post seriously made me cry. I'm sorry about your Dad. My wife often reminds me of the things you wrote. I get focused and wrapped up in truck/car and house projects and she says, "You need to spend more time with your kids. They're going to be all grown up and gone before you know it. Enjoy them while you can".
There's never enough time but, you have to make it. Take the time.
Regards,
David


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 175
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 175
I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad's passing.


Gravity - It's not just a good idea, it's the law.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Very sorry you've lost your dad.

My dad is 76 and I don't know how many more days we'll have together, so I try to make sure we get all we can.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
Dave,sorry for your loss.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 12
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 12
sorry for your loss Dave, it hurts I know, but it does get better although it never heals.
The words Ricky Scaggs sang in Cats in the Craddle cut me up one night when I was out trucking all week. Made me miss my boys sooo much and made me think about how I was missing them grow up that I quit the job that Friday. I cherish every moment with them now even if the eldest thinks he's too old for a hug from his Dad. Why do Mums get to hug their kids no matter how old they are?

Andy


The more people I meet, the better I like my dog
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Koolcar,Sorry for your loss,he must have been quite a guy. Dale

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
Dave: If he was anything like Pop Sr. he had to be one special guy. Sorry for your loss dad's are special in my heart. Up here if you need to talk you got my number?

Pop Sr. is 77 I hope that I'm even close to the shape he is in at that age. it was fun Sat. Dad, I, and Jason working on the "ol 59" 3 generations guys it don't get any better than that.

popcorn The Truth is Out There (Mighty Warrior Maws and I have prayers for your strength I know its been one H of a year) Ben

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 74
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 74
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Kool. I know if I lost my dad tomorrow, I don't know how I could go on, he's my hero and best friend, and he taught me everything I know about cars and such. He's also the one that told me to keep the 250 in my truck instead of dropping in a 283 or olds 330. I'm glad he did, because it's cool as heck and I have him to thank for that. I also have him to thank for having me keep my olds (my first car) during many, many rough times with it, and for pushing me to restore this truck. Restoration has begun (started the parts buying this weekend), and he's a major reason that it started in the first place, because if it wasn't for him, I would have bought another delta to throw a 425 in, and I realize now that that would be a big mistake.

Matthew McDaniel (writing this with tears in my eyes).


I am not bound to please thee with my answers. - William Shakespeare
1967 C10
1983 Olds Delta 88
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 175
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 175
KoolKar, I am sorry to hear about your loss. As you may know I lost my father just last month. I know exactly what you are feeling. Here's the link to the post on my dad: Like yours, he was one of a kind.
http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000512

Boo Radley


We don't need no stinking V-8s!!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
thanks guys. one common bond between us all, that is other than the stovebolt insanity, is that we will all lose some of those close to us. one day, those close to us will lose us.

so it goes.

the thing is, the worst feeling is the one of being truly alone. when you are alone, nobody can understand, and there is no comfort. it is a dark place filled with torment and no peace.

good to know i won't be going there. my friends have shown me they walk with me.

many are right here, and i have never met them.

thanks again, and thanks to dad and the little general for providing a place such as this where friends can meet in good times or bad.

Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
I am sorry for your loss and I apologize for not seeing your post sooner to express my condolences.

Although your Dad is now gone, no one can take away your memories. The nice thing about memories is that they can be with you in any circumstance and any time. I lost my grandmother this past summer and take solace from fond memories. Her attitude and 'people skills' have always been an inspiration to me and I try to incorporate these atributes into my life.

Your Dad also helped shape your personality and outlook on life. Take a look in the mirror and you will see his influence in your life. I wish you Godspeed and comfort in the trying days ahead.

CARL


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
Sorry to hear of your loss. My grandfather was the one who got me started on old stuff. The first truck he ever bought new was a 38 chevy 1.5 ton which he lengthend the frame and added a tag axle to. My first stovebolt was titled as a 42 due to an engine change. Owner represented it as a 37, My grandfather took one look and corrected that it was a 38 1.5. I had it running and tagged for a while and he rode with me. I doubt I'll ever sell that truck.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
Sorry for your loss, KoolKar. It's been a tough month - Your Dad, Woog's Dad and my Mom. Daily routines and ritual help to even things out and keep you a little numb but every so often, it will hit you hard that you will not be speaking to this loved one again in this lifetime. It's a personal milestone and life afterwards is forever different from that before.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Kool,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. On the other hand, I'm very glad you've got great memories to carry with you and also that you've shared them with us.

Memories are how we live forever (in our descendant's hearts).

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Regards,
Shea smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0