The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, Bruce 1954-4100, Hanks custodian, Gdads51, BC59, Cletus1950, cmayna, 3800GUY), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,253
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19
This is probably one of those really simple things I'm trying to over think but if someone could explain how it's done:
I've got a 50AD.
I've got a F*rd rear axle out of an Exploder, the width is right and disks breaks are nice.
Now how do I mount this thing on my stock rear springs so that they are centered in the wheel well. I observed that the mounts on the old axle were actually on the front of the axle, the F's are centered and that will move the wheels off of center in the well.
The way to correct this is...?
Thanks
Sometimes I just get lost in the process and get so hung-up on something.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
Some people say all you have to do is reverse the springs. This is supposed to move the center tie bolt about 2 inches to the rear which should come pretty close to centering the wheel in the fender.

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19
Good Lord, could it be that simple!! Please let it be so and thanks afu for giving me hope that it could just be.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I used springs from a '55 first series. The hole is exactly centered in the spring. This leads me to believe if the earlier spring were reversed, the hole would be too far aft.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 74
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 74
Could you drill a locator hole in the right place on the Explorer spring perches?

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
If the Explorer spring perches line up, drill em for the center bolts. If not buy new spring mounts, drill those,clamp em in place ,check out everthing, weld them.The spring center bolt hole needs to be moved about two inches.I 've done this several times, very easy.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 74
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 74
I had a related question: When swapping out the rear end do you have to take into account the taper of the leaf springs? I mean, do you have to weld the spring perches on a little crooked to account for the fact that the leaf spings are closer together at the front?

By the way, how did the Explorer rear end work out for ya?

Keahi

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
When using the original style springs, the taper is a non issue with replacement axle perches designed for 2-1/2 wide springs

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19
Well, I did manage to get the springs turned around this weekend but I haven't had a chance to mount the axle as we decided to finish repairing my father-in-law's frame and start mounting the IFS before we forget how it's done. As it sits now it looks like it will work but...
The width, at least on the 97 Mountaineer axle I've got, looks good. How it works out for me in the end is still a ways down the build but I'll be sure to post the end results.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
On our open-wheel dirt trackers, we used to drill several spring center bolt holes in the axle perches, and shorten up the wheelbase an inch at a time during the racing season. No fenders made it easy, because the wheel openings wouldn't give us away. We'd start at the minimum legal length for early-season tech inspection, and get 3" shorter by the end of the season. We had to install a shorter driveshaft every time, but short wheelbase cars got around the turns better! (It ain't cheating unless ya get caught!)
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
I am in the process of a frame off resto of my '50 3100. Years ago (about 25 years, I have had it for awhile) I switched to open driveline and fabbed up spring mounts. I visually centered the axle in the wheel well and drilled the mmounting hole, which was closer to 4" forward of the axle centerline. I am going to redo the rear axle mounts and move the mounting hole to closer to an inch or two forward of centerline to move the axle visually towards the front of the wheel well. I believe this is how they should look stock. Is this correct? I know that the rear suspension is designed to move axle back under load, but I believe stock appearence without load is the wheel sitting forward in wheel well.
Steve O


1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
there are a number places that offer a relocating and lowering block combination. fatfendered.com has an online catalogue also rbsauto.com. hope this helps. i am in the process of installing a complete spring and lowering kit from fatfendered. i would be interested to know the exact width of the rear axel you will be using. measure from wheel mounting surface to surface. its fifficult sneakink on the lots when the salesmen aren't looking and climbing under to measure. iam currently useing a 79 nova rear but had to use spacers with the tires i have it is about 3 inches over all to narrow with 235/70/15 tires. and has a 2:73 rear to low numericaly. 3:11 would be better. somewhat better since i just put on fenton headers w/dual exhaust& offenhouser intake w/ two single rochesters. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0