The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ponchogl), 115 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,506
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 33
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 33
Hi, My wife has indicated that she would like wooden side boards and a Sun visor on her 1954- 1/2ton truck. So we would like to get some help with pictures as possible to make up our mind what to do. Thanks Dutch Chevydel53@aol.com

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I will make up your mind. The 54/55 sunvisors fit those years only and therefor are rare which makes them $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
A good sunvisor will cost $400 to $1,000plus
There is Fulton and GM. GM will be the priciest. Mothertrucker in AZ usually has some around.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
Hey Dutch! (My grandpa's nickname was 'Dutch') grin here is a link to one of the pics of my truck in the gallery. Take a look at what I did with the sideboards and see what ya think. If you want to steal my idea, I have no objections. Even tho mine's a flatbed, you could still do something very similar for yours. I'm going to be re-doing mine with mahogany this winter. (I get free mahogany from work and I'm doing the bed with it too.)
Dave cool

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/images/knokey_david_1962d.jpg


The only thing more amazing than my ability to cram 60 minutes of work into a 9 hour day is my talent for making it look effortless!

My 1962 Chevy C-30
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Design wise I think your boards would look better if you stepped them down instead of cutting the back at an angle. Most others I have seen step them and seeing your angle I was wondering if you had a particular reason to do it that way?


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
Partly because I had never seen it done that way, but also because that way I was able to run a 1x2 down the ends which ties them together for stability and also seals the end grain to prevent moisture penetration. smile


The only thing more amazing than my ability to cram 60 minutes of work into a 9 hour day is my talent for making it look effortless!

My 1962 Chevy C-30
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
For your consideration' (just a thought)

Toad\'s Sunvisor

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
maybe a complete wooden deck ??

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/miller_dusty.htm

cool cool cool

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 11
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 11
Another thought (opinion) on the sun visor: I sit rather high in my 1950 Chev pickup, and it seems to me visibility would be rather limited with a visor. Plus they are not too aerodynamic !! I would forget about it.


1950 Chev 3100
Nevada City, CA
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
Garrett's the man! :p

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 54
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 54


Yes, officer it's licensed.
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 122
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 122
Dutch,

Check out the sides boards I just went with on my 1959. Pictures of them are on this page of my website: http://www.59apache.com/comanche.html

Good luck!

Jim Karras
Orange, CA
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Stepside Pickup
http://www.59apache.com/

Quote
Originally posted by Dutch52:
Hi, My wife has indicated that she would like wooden side boards and a Sun visor on her 1954- 1/2ton truck. So we would like to get some help with pictures as possible to make up our mind what to do. Thanks Dutch Chevydel53@aol.com


Jim Karras
Orange, CA
'59 Chevy Apache 32 Stepside Pickup
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: www.59apache.com

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0